New Civil Engineer
New Civil Engineer (NCE) is the official magazine of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE). For over 50 years, NCE has been the leading resource for civil engineering news and analysis, industry comment, technical features, product innovations and job opportunities.
NCE is at the heart of the profession, helping, provoking and celebrating at every turn. It is an unrivalled platform to share ideas and debate the big issues. In short, NCE is the most credible civil engineering resource available offering access through print, online, mobile, social networks and face to face events to leading industry professionals.
NCE's readership includes every member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) based in the UK. Our monthly international magazine New Civil Engineer International has a includes every member of the ICE based overseas.
EMAP’s purpose is to drive professional progress for ambitious individuals and companies in Fashion, Architecture, Health and Construction.
We unlock growth opportunities for our customers. Our unrivalled relationships with key decision makers give our customers essential access, insight and recognition. We deliver this professional advantage through award winning digital content, live events, intelligence services and learning tools.
Construction News, New Civil Engineer and Ground Engineering - hold unique positions at the heart of influential communities.
ConE is the construction and engineering team at Emap, including the Construction News, New Civil Engineer and Ground Engineering brands.
All three brands have a long history in their sectors and include a printed magazine, digital insight and a variety of events over the year, notably the BCI Awards and the CN Summit. Over the last few years the events portfolio has seen significant growth and is a critical revenue source for each brand. Looking to 2020 we want to launch new products, revitalise existing events and maximise the growth of some of our established events.
With major infrastructure projects coming on line and an increased need to build the homes and supporting infrastructure the UK needs to meet demand, there will be extensive opportunities for contractors, engineers and the supply chain in the short-medium term.
Working under the direction of the Head of Events, you will be responsible for identifying and producing industry leading, commercially viable repeat conferences and events. The length and structure of these may vary through-out the year.
Event creation (concept, format and agenda)
- Research with the profession and analyse the feasibility of repeat events
- Maximise existing events to ensure they meet the ‘need to know’ requirement to guarantee attendance
- Conduct detailed research by phone and in person with key industry figures to determine the validity of topics, key themes, format, speakers, competitor landscape, timing, price point and location.
- Analyse past delegates to determine appropriate pricing and targeting
- Establish growth areas for existing events or new events
- Develop session formats appropriate to demands of the delegate audience
Realisation and fulfilment of your project
- Project manage all aspects and ensure the production of high quality, industry leading commercially viable events to deadline.
- Manage the project team to ensure they perform to maximum potential by inspiring them, motivating them and holding them to account on key deadlines
- Work closely with, influence and get buy-in from the relevant in-house editorial and sales teams to ensure the production of relevant content and to leverage existing contacts and relationships in the industry.
- Write comprehensive topic briefing documents which contain essential information about the key industry issues, market and event to brief all internal stakeholders (SPEX, delegate sales, marketing, logistics and editorial).
- Through your detailed research, write topical and commercially viable conference programs.
- Invite and confirm high-level speakers that the industry wants to hear from.
- Work with the event marketer to create a robust, clearly defined marketing, data and content brief that enables you to produce a powerful marketing, content and data plan that delivers the agreed outcome.
- Create promotionally-led marketing copy for emails, website and brochures that is in the tone and language of the market and which generates enquiries and bookings.
- Project-manage the involvement of internal stakeholders to ensure the event meets deadlines and revenue targets.
- Sponsorship – develop value propositions and assist with proposal writing where required, identify key sponsors and make initial contact from a research perspective, attend all sponsor meetings and work with sponsors on their involvement in the conference
- Excellent research skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Analytical and able to interpret data to shape ideas
- Proven research and analytical skills – critical in identifying and deciding the direction of a topic
- Proactive / self-starter – don’t wait to be asked! must be a go getter who is going to seek out and grab opportunities with both hands
- Sharp copywriting
- Deadline management
- Excellent time management and organisational skills in order to meet deadlines and balance many tasks and people at once.
- Good communication skills: able to develop and maintain strong personal relationships with team members and external stakeholders
- Structured and organised, but also flexible
- Clear understanding and delivery of core conference kpis
- Demonstration of strong topic generation and market development ability
- Clear understanding of the commercial business practices that underpin conferences
- Strong commercial awareness and a clear comprehension of profit and loss/basic business principles
- Entrepreneurial – an innovator who has experience of new launches, new formats, new processes
- Strong Microsoft word and excel
- Social Media
Please email your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com to apply for this job
We’re committed to Emap being a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees. They include 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell), health plan and life insurance cover, Cycle 2 Work scheme, discounted gym memberships, retail discount vouchers and much more!
EMAP is a member of the Metropolis Group.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.