ConE is the construction and engineering team at Emap, including the Construction News, New Civil Engineer and Ground Engineering brands.
All three brands have a long history in their sectors and include a printed magazine, digital insight and a variety of events over the year, notably the BCI Awards and the CN Summit. Over the last few years the events portfolio has seen significant growth and is a critical revenue source for each brand. Looking to 2019 we want to launch new products, revitalise existing events and maximise the growth of some of our established events.
With major projects such as HS2 starting construction later this year and increased need to build the homes and infrastructure the UK needs to meet demand, there will be extensive opportunities for contractors, engineers and the supply chain in the short-medium term.
Working under the direction of the Head of Events, you will be responsible for identifying and producing industry leading, commercially viable repeat conferences and events. The length and structure of these may vary through-out the year.
Event creation (concept, format and agenda)
- Research with the profession and analyse the feasibility of repeat events
- Maximise existing events to ensure they meet the ‘need to know’ requirement to guarantee attendance
- Conduct detailed research by phone and in person with key industry figures to determine the validity of topics, key themes, format, speakers, competitor landscape, timing, price point and location.
- Analyse past delegates to determine appropriate pricing and targeting
- Establish growth areas for existing events or new events
- Develop session formats appropriate to demands of the delegate audience
Realisation and fulfilment of your project
- Project manage all aspects and ensure the production of high quality, industry leading commercially viable events to deadline.
- Manage the project team to ensure they perform to maximum potential by inspiring them, motivating them and holding them to account on key deadlines
- Work closely with, influence and get buy-in from the relevant in-house editorial and sales teams to ensure the production of relevant content and to leverage existing contacts and relationships in the industry.
- Write comprehensive topic briefing documents which contain essential information about the key industry issues, market and event to brief all internal stakeholders (SPEX, delegate sales, marketing, logistics and editorial).
- Through your detailed research, write topical and commercially viable conference programs.
- Invite and confirm high-level speakers that the industry wants to hear from.
- Work with the event marketer to create a robust, clearly defined marketing, data and content brief that enables you to produce a powerful marketing, content and data plan that delivers the agreed outcome.
- Create promotionally-led marketing copy for emails, website and brochures that is in the tone and language of the market and which generates enquiries and bookings.
- Project-manage the involvement of internal stakeholders to ensure the event meets deadlines and revenue targets.
- Sponsorship – develop value propositions and assist with proposal writing where required, identify key sponsors and make initial contact from a research perspective, attend all sponsor meetings and work with sponsors on their involvement in the conference
- Strong Microsoft word and excel
- Social Media
- Excellent research skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Analytical and able to interpret data to shape ideas
- Proven research and analytical skills – critical in identifying and deciding the direction of a topic
- Proactive / self-starter – don’t wait to be asked! must be a go getter who is going to seek out and grab opportunities with both hands
- Sharp copywriting
- Deadline management
- Excellent time management and organisational skills in order to meet deadlines and balance many tasks and people at once.
- Good communication skills: able to develop and maintain strong personal relationships with team members and external stakeholders
- Structured and organised, but also flexible
- Clear understanding and delivery of core conference kpis
- Demonstration of strong topic generation and market development ability
- Clear understanding of the commercial business practices that underpin conferences
- Strong commercial awareness and a clear comprehension of profit and loss/basic business principles
- Entrepreneurial – an innovator who has experience of new launches, new formats, new processes
- Self-starter and can work autonomously
- Business acumen
- High integrity
- Inspires others to get things done
- Intelligent, energetic, ambitious and driven
- Good communicator
- Results orientated with strong attention to detail
- Highly organised, calm and rational
Please email your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com to apply for this job