Reports to: Associate editor (core content)
Manages: Technical reporters (3)
This role is pivotal to New Civil Engineer and will entail breaking and delivering the biggest infrastructure and engineering stories of the day and delivering authoritative and engaging content which spans politics, business, technical insight and the inside story on major projects.
This is an opportunity for the right candidate to deliver news coverage on national and international stories, competing with world-class news desks. Whether it is the collapse of Carillion, the latest High Speed 2 controversy or how engineers are battling to save a major dam in the US, the role requires a journalist who is passionate, ambitious, has uncompromising editorial standards, and the drive to ensure New Civil Engineer is the sector leader and first with the news.
The news editor role also requires the ability to think at a strategic, critical level, ensuring the daily email newsletter and homepage has the right tone and mix of stories to engage and drive readership. It is essential that the news editor retains New Civil Engineer’s reputation for being insightful, useful and adventurous.
- Excellent news judgement
- Ability to take major news stories and deliver authoritative, leading coverage
- Ability to manage a team of reporters, ensuring stories are original, timely and of the highest standard
- Ability to make contacts across the industry and operate at a level of trust and respect with senior business leaders
- Ability to exploit our well subscribed-to social media channels.
- Hunger for measuring the success of our new and existing digital content – be it online, in the app, long form, video, words or images.
- Be well established in the classic skills of journalism as well as new forms of digital journalism.
- Great analytics skills already, or be able to demonstrate an appetite for quick learning in this area.
The successful candidate will have a recognised journalism qualification and bring experience on a news-led publication as well as a keenness to get involved in all aspects of New Civil Engineer’s editorial production.
The candidate will need to be prepared for some international travel.
Please email you CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com to apply for this job