Construction News is dedicated to providing essential business information and intelligence to win work and compete effectively in an increasingly complex construction sector. It is widely recognised as the brand trusted by leading contractors to help them shape the future of the industry.
With a premier reputation based on accurate news reporting, market analysis and expert commentary, Constructions News engages an influential group of senior decision-makers drawn from both core contractors and major suppliers in the construction industry.
Relied upon by thousands of construction professionals, Construction News is a unique brand offering unparalleled opportunity across multiple platforms spanning print, web, mobile, social media, awards and bespoke events.
CN is looking for a Reporter to join the team, reporting to the News Editor.
The Reporter will research and write agenda-setting features, investigations, analyses and extended interviews valued by Construction News’ target audience of leaders in the construction, property and infrastructure world.
You will be expected to support the wider team in directing and shaping CN’s content with your own ideas, be capable of working on multiple articles simultaneously, and become a dependable member of the team.
CN’s annually produced content framework covers a wide-range of topic areas, ranging from rail and stadiums through to sustainability and demolition. You will be expected to write in these areas, uncovering trends and finding ways to get access to key individuals among the biggest contractors and clients.
The post-holder will also be given the freedom, and is expected to, push the boundaries of CN’s coverage.
The role will include occasional travel. CN employees are expected to regularly meet contacts and spend time outside the office getting to know the industry and key people/ projects.
- Writing and researching agenda-setting features, analyses, investigation, and set-piece interview articles
- Pitch developed article ideas
- Manage your own workload of feature articles and investigations
- Build a contacts book of industry leaders and spot trends our readers need to know about, from financial and political drivers to social and people issues.
- Representing CN at UK and occasional international events
- Working on events, such as the two-day CN Summit, our awards and bespoke events including round tables.
- A journalism qualification is desirable.
- Portfolio of articles
- Knowledge of, or experience in, the construction and property industries would be beneficial, but is not a must.
- Shorthand is preferred
- This role suits someone who wants to compete with national and broadcast media as a leading journalist, allowing them to make a name for themselves on one of the UK’s most respected B2B titles.
- Must be enthusiastic, driven and organised, with an ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines. Must enjoy making contacts and building relationships.
- Strong news sense and a passionate interest in current affairs and digital journalism.
- Dependable, collaborative, competitive and ambitious.
- An excellent communicator who wants to improve CN’s coverage and will positively represent CN at external events.
- Must be willing to learn and want to develop new skills.
Please email your CV and Cover Letter to Zak.GP@emap.com to apply for this job.
We’re committed to Emap being a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees. They include 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell), health plan and life insurance cover, Cycle 2 Work scheme, discounted gym memberships, retail discount vouchers and much more!
EMAP is a member of the Metropolis Group.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.