The AJ is the undisputed home of British architecture and the professional’s guide to the most vibrant architectural culture in the world.
Our daily content offer, built around five themes - industry news, building studies, business intelligence, expert opinion and cultural analysis – is designed to help architects thrive in the workplace.
The AJ is a multi-platform brand using print, online, mobile, campaigns, awards and live events to engage our audience. We showcase best practice, celebrate innovation and collaborate with industry to create new opportunities and help architects grow their business. Other resources include the AJ Buildings library which contains photos, drawings, technical details and project data from over 2,000 exemplar buildings and AJ Specification, a print, digital and live event service focused on technical and product information.
The AJ: Building better architects since 1895.
EMAP has a long and rich history as the owner of a portfolio of world-class media brands. We produce content that informs and progresses some of the largest and most respected businesses within the fastest moving and most influential sectors in the UK.
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic Technical Editor to join our team at The Architects' Journal (AJ). The AJ is the undisputed home of British architecture and the professional’s guide to the most vibrant architectural culture in the world. Our daily content offer, built around five themes - industry news, building studies, business intelligence, expert opinion and cultural analysis – is designed to help architects thrive in the workplace.
You will actively support the Architecture Editor and liaise closely with the News Desk to ensure the AJ covers the most relevant, timely and significant buildings and projects in the UK, as well as key current construction issues, innovations and new technologies – working across The AJ in print and online, and across the AJ’s monthly technical magazine, AJ Specification.
- Write and research Building Studies – typically two per month, including 10 annual revisit Building Studies. Also support the Architecture editor in identifying, securing, commissioning and editing building studies.
- Keep up to date with regulatory changes; new technologies; and the sustainability agenda. Feeding into news and features and responding promptly and authoritatively to anything which may impact on the architect in practice.
- Work with the Architecture Editor to identify, write, edit and upload to the AJ website daily ‘First Look’ projects, liaising closely with the News Desk and Head of Engagement.
- Source, research, collate and edit the AJ Specification Case Studies (usually three per issue of AJ Spec) and other elements of the magazine.
- Support the Architecture Editor to upload Building Studies and Case Studies to the AJ website and the AJ Buildings Library.
- Degree in architecture or related field
- Experience as a practitioner
- Interest in critical writing and ideally a published writer
- Digital media experience and knowledge
- Experience writing for an architecture or related publication
- Knowledge of the content creation, editing and production process - print and online
- Interest in sustainability
- Enthusiasm for and knowledge of the field of architecture and the technical side of construction
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Ability to work to deadlines and react quickly to a busy schedule
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in as part of a team
- An ability to work and remain calm under pressure
Please email your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com to apply for this job
EMAP is a member of the Metropolis Group.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.