We are looking for a passionate web developer to join our team. This role is perfect for someone with strong PHP and WordPress experience, looking for a challenging role with at least two years in a commercial role, who wants a diverse technical challenge on large, high-traffic WordPress multiple websites. Reporting to the Senior Web Developer, you will have responsibility for maintaining and growing a site visited by millions of people every month, and also working with other developers and SysAdmin team in maintaining the infrastructure that powers these websites on AWS.
The successful candidate will be a key member of the development team, with full involvement in the development life cycle from planning through to launch. You will also work on integrating the front-end elements built by your colleagues into applications. Therefore, a good understanding of front-end technologies is necessary as well.
If you are passionate about technology, constantly seeking to learn and improve skill set, then you are the type of person we are looking for!
- Develop, record and maintain cutting edge web-based PHP applications on the WordPress platform
- Front and Back end development of WordPress sites, leveraging JSON and web application frameworks, create and customise PHP themes/plugins
- Where necessary, build innovative, applications and collaborate with the other teams within the Web department.
- Prepare and maintain applications utilising standard development tools
- Refactor, optimise and improve the existing codebase for maintenance and scale
- Use test driven development and acceptance tests to ensure feature quality
- Document the development process, architecture, and standard components
- Collaborate with the team and other stakeholders to achieve successful delivery of high-quality software products.
- On-time delivery and own quality of work ensuring it meets the technical standards of the department.
- Design and develop reusable libraries, APIs and code that are easy to maintain, understand and re-use.
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and be able to apply these to a variety of projects as applicable
- Participate in the architectural design of features early in the development cycle, influencing it to drive quality and adherence to the specification.
- Ensure software conforms to operational requirements of hosting environments.
- Work with QA to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the life cycle.
- Work with 3rd Party clients where necessary offering direction, support and documentation.
- Contribute to the evolution of best practices of the department.
- Monitor your work against the production schedule closely and provide progress updates reporting concisely and clearly any issues or technical difficulties to the Development Lead or your line manager as soon as possible.
- Write, review and take responsibility for clear, concise and comprehensive technical documentation.
- Adherence to all relevant legal and compliance requirements, standards of web development and online trading for both public and private sector: GDPR, PCI-DSS
- To adhere to Company policies including the Anti-Bribery and Corruption policy.
- To carry out any other ad hoc duties as may be required from time to time.
- 3+ years of web development experience with custom PHP development and/or experience writing code to customise WordPress, etc.
- 3+ years professional development experience with LAMP
- 3+ years professional development experience with WordPress
- Well-versed in building UI in WordPress including themes
- Experience integrating with other 3rd party services and out of the box WordPress plugins
- Experience of working in cloud-based infrastructure using AWS
- User authentication and authorisation between multiple systems, servers, and environments
- Familiarity with limitations of PHP as a platform and its workarounds
- Working in command line
- Knowledge of agile principles and methodologies
- Good relational database skills with MySQL
- Understanding of responsive design frameworks such as bootstrap
- Experience with website optimisation and cross-browser support
- Working knowledge of the implementation of RESTful APIs, SOAP and AJAX
- Experience with GIT/SVN
- Familiarity with UX/UI design best practices
- An understanding of Linux environment is desirable
- Working knowledge of mobile operating systems such as iOS, Android and Windows
Key Results Areas:
- Produce defect-free quality code, quality presentation, quality PHP & HTML and good user experience.
- Develop, deliver and modify Web sites to the priorities set by the business.
- Proactively and reactively bring issues to the Web Team daily stand-ups and weekly meetings (or more rapidly for urgent issues). Aim to close off issues by the next meeting, with good progress made on them as a minimum measurement
Skills & Competencies
- Strong influencing skills with the ability to influence and negotiate for time and resources at all levels.
IT, Administrative and Organisational Skills:
- Ability to code software according to standards and design guidelines.
- Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills, with the ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines and to demonstrate an effective and resourceful approach to addressing issues.
Judgement and Analysis:
- Sound judgement with the ability to interpret, analyse and disseminate complex, technical information.
- Must be able to make excellent strategic decisions for the design of complex software, evaluating the likely impact of alternative approaches, referring to software requirements, input from the Development leads and the existing source code base. Decision making in this role will have an impact on software speed, code reusability, team productivity and customer support. Therefore, personal judgement needs to be exercised in determining a course of action.
- Resourceful and purposeful, with initiative, drive and a strong desire to deliver exceptional results.
- Able to work autonomously through a wide variety of complex problems under own initiative, adopting software development principles required by robust, scalable and attractively presented solutions.
- A team player both internally and externally.
- Able to write technical software design specifications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain complex technical terminology to non-technical people.
- Ensure software changes are well commented to assist in future maintenance.
Please email your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com to apply for this job
We’re committed to Emap being a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees. They include 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell), health plan and life insurance cover, Cycle 2 Work scheme, discounted gym memberships, retail discount vouchers and much more!
EMAP is a member of the Metropolis Group.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.