Metropolis Group is a fast-growing group, established in 1994. We specialise in business & consumer media and discount programmes. We employ over 550 people and have offices in West London, Croydon, Shoreditch, Bolton, Dublin, and Chester. Our brands consist of EMAP, Smartsave and Diamond Publishing Ltd.
About the role:
We are looking for a passionate web developer to join our team. This role is perfect for someone with strong PHP and WordPress experience, looking for a challenging role with experience within a commercial role, who wants a diverse technical challenge on large, high-traffic WordPress multiple websites. Reporting to the Senior Web Developer, you will have responsibility for maintaining and growing a site visited by millions of people every month and working with other developers and SysAdmin team in maintaining the infrastructure that powers these websites on AWS.
The successful candidate will be a key member of the development team, with full involvement in the development life cycle from planning through to launch. You will also work on integrating the front-end elements built by your colleagues into applications. Therefore, a good understanding of front-end technologies is necessary as well. If you are passionate about technology, constantly seeking to learn and improve skill set, then you are the type of person we are looking for!
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain complex technical terminology to non-technical people.
- Able to work autonomously through a wide variety of complex problems under own initiative
- Sound judgement with the ability to interpret, analyse and disseminate complex, technical information.
- Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills, with the ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines and to demonstrate an effective and resourceful approach to addressing issues.
- Strong influencing skills with the ability to negotiate at all levels.
- Develop, record and maintain cutting edge web-based PHP applications on the WordPress platform
- Front and Back end development of WordPress sites, leveraging JSON and web application frameworks,
- create and customise PHP themes/plugins
- Where necessary, build innovative, applications and collaborate with the other teams within the Web department.
- On-time delivery and own quality of work ensuring it meets the technical standards of the department.
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and be able to apply these to a variety of projects as applicable
- Ensure software conforms to operational requirements of hosting environments.
- Work with QA to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the life cycle.
- Work with 3rd Party clients where necessary offering direction, support and documentation.
- Adherence to all relevant legal and company compliance requirements.
Please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re committed to EMAP being a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees. They include 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell), health plan and life insurance cover, Cycle 2 Work scheme, discounted gym memberships, retail discount vouchers and much more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.