- Business: emap
- Brand: Electronics Weekly
- Base Location: Croydon/Hybrid ( 3 days from home, 2 days in the office)
- Employment Type: Full time, Permanent
- Salary: £ competitive + Benefits
- Remote working or visa sponsorship are not available.
Trading as emap for its B2B division, Metropolis International is a fast-growing business, privately owned Media Group with over £50m of annual revenue, structured in two divisions – consumer media, and business-to-business media. In both parts of the business, we run print magazines, digital content and both face-to-face and virtual awards, conferences, and other events. Metropolis is actively looking at acquiring more media businesses. We employ over 480 people in offices in West London, Croydon, Fleet street, Devon and Dublin.
Electronics Weekly is a market leading brand, having provided exceptional quality content to the electronics sector for over 60 years.
Electronics Weekly engages with senior decision-makers across this fast-changing sector, online, in print and face to face, providing the best news, analysis, best practice and opinion needed by professionals managing billions of spend. Electronics Weekly has a portfolio of commercial marketing and advertising opportunities, with high impact award ceremonies and other events. It is the market-leading digital brand, and its team is well known for providing digital advice across to agencies and clients across the sector.
Overall Purpose of the Role:
This is a first-class opportunity to become an editor of a well-respected media brand in a fun and exciting sector.
Electronics Weekly has been a successful brand it needs an editor to build on the brand’s strengths and consider new ideas that will increase it’s editorial and commercial success.
The successful candidate will be the leader of the Electronics Weekly editorial brand, across online, print and events. As an Editor you will lead the editorial team to ensure that they deliver content in all formats that meet the agreed editorial and brand strategy.
You will focus on understanding our audience, and providing the content that drives engagement and commercial success.
You will be a commercially driven editor, the ambassador of the brand, meeting contacts and potential clients to drive product innovation in print, digital and events.
You will work with the Managing Director and Head of Marketing to drive audience development and engagement and to always demonstrate excellent leadership and editorial decision-making.
- You will build on Electronics Weekly’s reputation as the leading media brand for the Electronics sector, by leading and managing a 5 person content team to produce the most engaging and useful content for one of the UK’s most famous business media brands, which will lead to continue commercial growth, increasing event ticket sales, and high digital engagement.
- With the commercial team, help create new commercially viable products in live and digital, which can help growing the business.
- Work with the MD and other Senior Managers in establishing future vision and strategy for the brand.
- Contribute articles and leaders and ensure high journalistic standards across the team.
- To build, manage and structure a high performing editorial team.
- Produce innovative ideas and concepts for a variety of media platforms that help extend the brand’s reach and engagement.
- Oversee the development of the brand, alongside the Managing Director and senior management team, to ensure all editorial and commercial products are leading in the sector.
- Chair conference sessions or events in both live and video as required and be an ambassador for the brand.
- Extend the reach of the brand into new key audiences’ when necessary.
- Ensure the timely and accurate publication of a print title daily and weekly newsletters, and with the digital editor manage a fantastic news-orientated website.
- Enhance the brand’s social media presence and audio/visual output.
- Ensure that the Company processes and policies in relation to revenue generation and representation in the Company accounts is accurate and appropriate in all circumstances, referring matters to the Managing Director (or in their absence the Finance Director or Financial Controller as appropriate) whenever necessary.
- To carry out any other ad-hoc duties as may be required from time to time.
Key Results Areas:
- Production of market leading content across magazine, website, email, application, and audio/visual format, attracting high engagement from readers, and increasing registrations or subscriptions.
- Keeping control of budgets and suggesting editorial improvements.
- Being the ambassador of the brand.
- Effective management of the Electronics Weekly editorial team.
- Commercial success of the Electronics Weekly brand through drive and idea innovation.
Personal Specifications and Competencies:
- A competitive outlook with a determination to ensure our news, analysis is the most trusted, and the first choice for decision makers across the Electronics Weekly sector.
- Experience in leading a successful editorial programme as either an Editor, Deputy Editor or other relevant editorial role.
- Good leadership and team management experience.
- Ability and willingness to collaborate closely with colleagues in commercial, marketing and communications roles.
- Enjoys working with people and wants the best for their team.
- Strong influencing skills with the ability to influence and negotiate for time and resources at all levels.
- Evidence of success in building and managing relationships with high level stakeholders.
- Organisational awareness with the ability to operate with confidence and credibility across all functions of the company.
- Good planning, organisational and time management skills, with the ability to work calmly under pressure and to tight deadlines and have a resourceful approach to addressing issues.
Judgement and Analysis:
- Sound judgement with the ability to interpret, analyse and disseminate complex, sensitive information.
- A good understanding of business and organisational risk and the ability to think through situations and apply good judgement.
- Awareness of the Company’s reputation and financial position.
- Resourceful and purposeful, with initiative, drive, and a strong desire to deliver exceptional results.
- A team player both internally and externally.
- Willing to try new ideas.
- Committed to self-learning.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
Other Necessary Requirements:
- Experienced journalist, with excellent writing and copy-editing skills.
- Experience managing a team in a positive manner.
- Evidence of solid news judgement alongside a passion for accuracy.
- Website management and social media skills.
- Enthusiastic and outgoing individual who can demonstrate the ability to represent the brand with confidence.
- Evidence of idea generation to strengthen the brand and enhance its editorial and commercial output.
Learning & Development:
At emap, we believe that employee learning and development are the key drivers of our success. To ensure continuous growth and meet the ever-changing demands of the workplace, we provide an environment that fosters continuous development for our employees.
Our employees are encouraged to identify their areas of personal and professional development aligned with our strategic areas, including management development, health, safety & wellbeing, sales, events management, marketing strategy, editorial, and information technology. We have a structured framework designed to help equip our employees with the necessary knowledge, skills, and behaviors to excel in their job roles, contributing to achieving our organizational objectives.
To support our employees’ career development, we have designed specialized programs, as well as other stand-alone role-specific and generic courses, under the emap academy.
This exciting position is a full-time hybrid role. 2 days in the office, 3 days from home. This could change over time depending on business needs.
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group. Together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life assurance
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Rail season ticket loans
- Continuous learning & development opportunities for editors
- Quarterly In-house Editorial Excellence Awards
- Optional- one paid volunteer day per year
- Private virtual GP access
- Seasonal flu jabs on site
- Pension scheme
- Income protection and more
Diversity and Inclusion: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.
How to apply: Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . Due to the volume of applications, we receive, we are unable to give individual feedback at the application stage, however if you are successfully shortlisted you will be contacted within 10 working days of the closing date.
emap does not offer visa sponsorship. Based on the UK employment law you need to have valid right to work in UK. Share code will be required during the interview process.