This role offers a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious and energetic editor to create engaging and insightful content, supported by a deputy/online editor and freelance production editor.
Between them, Heating & Ventilating News (H&V News) and Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (RAC) provide valuable insight and analysis into the heating and cooling industries. These two industries have a vital part to play in the everyday life of everyone on the planet – whether it being heating homes, cooling offices, refrigerating food in the supermarkets or providing the ventilation to keep people safe from Covid. And the two magazines play a pivotal role in keeping readers up to date with the issues around legislation, standards and policy and in highlighting the latest technology and best practice. We have a resolute focus on ‘issues-based news’, rather than simply churning out press releases.
As the UK seeks to meet its Net Zero targets, reducing carbon in heating has become a national talking point and H&V News is at the heart of the national debate on such subjects as heat pumps and hydrogen.
As brands, both H&V News and RAC are active across print, digital and live events. The monthly magazines, published side by side, are supported by regular online news and features coverage and regular information events. For H&V News, we host two online Summits, assembling expertise and opinion into important HVAC matters, from heat pumps to Indoor Air Quality; while RAC hosts an annual F-Gas Question Time, with the supply chain discussing the progress of the legislation which is fundamental to the cooling industry.
Another vital element of the brands’ activity is our Awards. We have three in the portfolio: The H&Vs, The Cooling Awards and The Energy Awards. All three set a high standard for credibility, incorporating a Dragons’ Den-style judging round, and each black tie event is an industry fixture, attracting significant audiences of 300-600.
With the pressure on to reduce carbon and to reduce energy, the technology of HVAC&R is developing rapidly and the industry is having to evolve in parallel to provide the necessary skills for design and installation. This adds up to a fascinating time to cover the sector – and the heating and cooling communities have a real need for high quality journalism and for an editor who will advocate for the industry and its companies and individuals.
As editor of H&V News and RAC you will be meeting with contractors, consultants, manufacturers and their customers. The editorial brief is enticingly wide – ranging from policy to technology to environmental matters to human issues, such as dyslexia and diversity.
At the same time, you will be expected to work alongside our sales team, pursuing opportunities for the brand to leverage the quality of its content.
H&V News has been in print for over half a century, while RAC can trace its roots as far back as 1898, so both have built a formidable reputation for authority and leadership. This role provides a chance to build on that legacy.
- Plan; Commission; Edit and Write where necessary the monthly magazines H&V News and RAC, with Deputy Editor
- Oversee the production of the magazines H&V News and RAC, with Deputy Editor and Production Editor
- Define a content strategy that meets the objectives of the brand, and develop editorial skills that help to deliver it
- Ensure content meets the audience’s needs at all times online, in print and at events, as well as on social media
- Provide content input to the three Awards and liaise with Events and Marketing Colleagues on organisation of the awards campaigns. Support, guide and develop all events, ensuring content is aligned with the event strategy
- Work with colleagues in editorial, sales and Events on content of live events such as Summits, Question Times and Round Tables
- Establish network of key industry contacts
- Manage and coach the Deputy Editor to ensure high-quality output
- Represent the brand at the highest level with senior contacts in the industry, associations and government
- Chair and host events, in person and online
- Identify new reader/user groups and deliver content and products to meet their needs
- Manage the editorial permanent staff and freelance budget and outline investment cases for growth where you identify opportunities
- Be responsible for exceptional delivery of sponsored content across all formats including webinars, roundtables and features
- Strong writing ability, with the ability to articulate the priorities of the industry, for instance through leader columns
Skills and experience:
- First-class journalism – high level of experience producing quality content for a senior professional audience
- Content planning
- Content strategy
- People management
- Budget management
- Event chairing and public speaking
- Commercial understanding and a proven willingness to work with a range of commercial and event teams to deliver outstanding outcomes for our commercial partners
- The ability to tackle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience of HVAC&R, engineering or technology would be beneficial
- Deep knowledge of the content creation, editing and production process – print and online
- Essential journalistic skills in writing, editing and proofreading
- Comfortable with the developing digital demands of readers and advertisers
- Proven ability to manage others; to delegate work; and to provide guidance in a constructive way
- Organised, able to plan ahead and to prioritise competing tasks
- Budget management
- Organised and able to plan, including managing the work of other people
- A good communicator, able to think on your feet
- Able to speedily assimilate information, make quick decisions, and react to rapid developments
- Comfortable and confident in public – equally at home meeting new people at industry events; presenting an Awards speech; or chairing a Round Table debate
- Confident, self-motivated, and determined to produce work of high quality
- A team player, willing to share insights and to help the development of colleagues
- Competitive and keen to outdo rival publications
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group, together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life insurance cover
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Private virtual GP access
- Income Protection and more
We positively celebrate Diversity & Inclusion in emap. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds because it makes our company stronger. We are committed to achieving a working environment that provides equality of opportunity and freedom from discrimination. We aim to become the most inclusive business in Publishing- both for our people and our customers, reflecting and connecting with the diverse communities that we work with. We want people from all backgrounds to feel valued for their individuality and to thrive in our business and feel part of the Metropolis Group.