- Business: emap
- Brand: Money Marketing
- Base Location: Croydon/Hybrid ( 3 days from home, 2 days in the office)
- Employment Type: Full time, Permanent
- Salary: £ competitive
About the company and the brand:
Metropolis International Group is a fast-growing group, established in 1994. We specialise in business and consumer media and discount programmes. We have offices in West London, Croydon, Fleet street, Bolton, Dublin, and Chester. The group consists of emap, Diamond Publishing Ltd and over 40 brands.
Since launch in 1985, Money Marketing has been the number one information source for the independent financial adviser with the most respected journalists in the business. MM’s multi-award winning team of reporters work across our print magazine and daily website, offering an unrivalled news service alongside in-depth analysis and comment on market issues.
Overall Purpose of the Role:
This News Editor role is responsible for the news desk of Money Marketing including managing all content across digital and print formats, deadlines, word counts and people management of reporters.
- Generate story ideas via an extensive network and encourage and motivate the team to do likewise.
- Generate the right content at the right time commercially for the right products.
- Choose the placement of stories in print and online and allocate word counts and deadlines to the reporters.
- Check stories for accuracy of content (eg. facts, figures, people) and any potential legal or risk issues.
- Ensure articles are written in the house style.
- Source contributors and chase for timely content.
- Edit contributor articles.
- Establish and maintain good communication with the team and wider departments ensuring smooth workflow is achieved to deadline.
- Ensure journalists balance their time management.
- Encourage journalists to get exclusives and build and maintain strong relationships with contacts.
- Motivate team to submit to deadline to ensure publishing deadlines are met.
- Recruit and train new journalists and develop team as required.
- Assist the editor and reporters as part of an early shift roster.
- Effectively manage and resolve complaints from contacts/PR firms.
Skills and experience:
- Exemplary journalism skills both in producing valuable and insightful written content and editing own work and that of others.
- At least 2 year’s experience of working on a news desk across print and digital formats.
- Inherent sense of what constitutes good news.
- Proven track record of working in a high-volume business with tight deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively across all media platforms.
- Thorough technical and commercial knowledge of the financial market including having and maintaining a strong contacts book.
- In-depth knowledge of print publication production process as well as online data posting and management.
Strong skills in copy-editing, off-diary news and features generation, developing content strategy to increase traffic, people management.
Dedicated, driven and calm under pressure.
Learning & Development:
At emap, we believe that employee learning and development are the key drivers of our success. To ensure continuous growth and meet the ever-changing demands of the workplace, we provide an environment that fosters continuous development for our employees.
Our employees are encouraged to identify their areas of personal and professional development aligned with our strategic areas, including management development, health, safety & wellbeing, sales, events management, marketing strategy, editorial, and information technology. We have a structured framework designed to help equip our employees with the necessary knowledge, skills, and behaviors to excel in their job roles, contributing to achieving our organizational objectives.
To support our employees’ career development, we have designed specialized programs, as well as other stand-alone role-specific and generic courses, under the emap academy.
This exciting position is a full-time hybrid role. 2 days in the office, 3 days from home. This could change over time depending on business needs.
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group. Together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life assurance
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Rail season ticket loans
- Private virtual GP access
- Pension scheme
- Income protection and more
- Continuous learning & development opportunities
- Seasonal flu jabs on site
- One paid volunteer day per year
- Summer and Winter parties
- Work from home during August
- In-house Editorial Excellence Awards and other innovation projects
Diversity and Inclusion: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.
How to apply: Please send your CV, covering letter and samples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org . Due to the volume of applications, we receive, we are unable to give individual feedback at the application stage, however if you are successfully shortlisted you will be contacted within 10 working days of the closing date.