- Business: emap
- Brand: Nursing Times
- Base Location: Fleet Street/Hybrid (3 days from home, 2 days in the office)
- Employment Type: Full time, Perm
- Salary: £28,000
Nursing Times, a specialist title serving the UK nursing profession, is looking for a full-time senior reporter to join its news team.
Nursing Times is the UK’s leading independent nursing brand. Established in 1905, it is a go-to source for nurses seeking news and clinical content to help them keep up to date with developments in nursing and health and social care.
As senior reporter, you will work closely with the news editor and reporter to produce agenda-setting news content for the Nursing Times website and monthly print magazine with a focus on exclusives.
You will be joining the team at a key time for the nursing profession and NHS amid the ongoing national pay dispute and nurse strikes, and record pressures on services in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic.
If you would like to be a part of telling the stories of nurses and nursing support workers at this moment in history, then this is your chance.
The job is based in our new offices just off Fleet Street in London. We currently have a hybrid working model of two days a week in the office and three days working from home.
To apply, submit a CV and a covering letter explaining in no more than 300 words why you are right for the role. Please also provide three examples of your published journalism work.
Closing date for applications is Friday, 31st March 2023
- Sourcing and writing daily news stories for the Nursing Times website
- Sourcing and writing long-form news pieces and features for the monthly print magazine
- Bringing in exclusives and ideas for news campaigns and investigations
- Establishing and maintaining good relationships with nursing contacts
- Owning and maintaining a news patch
- As senior reporter, stepping up to take on the most challenging stories that come to the newsdesk
- Attending and covering key nursing events and meetings
- Providing mentorship and support to the reporter on the newsteam
- Covering for the news editor when required
- Working closely with the Nursing Times clinical team and other departments including events, sales and marketing to achieve shared goals
- Using social media to source and promote stories
Skills and experience:
- NCTJ or equivalent qualification in journalism essential
- At least two years’ experience in a professional journalism role
- Experience in health journalism desirable but not essential
- Shorthand advantageous
- Solid understanding of media law
Skills & Competencies
- Ability to produce engaging and accurate copy to tight deadlines
- Confident in bringing forward own ideas for stories and chasing exclusives
- Exceptional interviewing skills and strong news sense
- Competent in handling and interpreting data, research and reports, including clinical information
- Understanding of the nursing sector or willingness and passion to learn
- Thinks about pictures to illustrate a story as part of the writing process
- Interest in health and social care
- Supportive colleague who works well in a small team and can also work independently
- Committed to journalism that supports equality, diversity and inclusion
- Hungry for exclusives and producing agenda-setting content
- Adaptable with a positive approach to new challenges
Career & Personal Development:
We have a dedicated in-house Learning and Developing coordinator to guide you and support you with your career development.
Here at emap, we consider employee learning & development very fundamental to the continuous success of our businesses. As a result, we provide an environment where continuous development takes place, and employees are supported to meet the ever-changing demands and priorities of the workplace.
To achieve this goal, our employees are encouraged to identify respective areas of personal and professional development focused on six (6) strategic areas (Management & People: Health; Safety; Wellbeing, Sales, Events, Marketing, Editorial, Information Technology), and we have a framework to help equip employees with the right knowledge, skills and behaviors required to deliver in their job roles, which ultimately contributes value towards achieving set organizational objectives.
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group, together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life insurance cover
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Private virtual GP access
- Income Protection and more