Materials Recycling World is the leading provider of news, insight and market analysis for the UK waste management and recycling industry. MRW’s deputy editor will take a role in all aspects of the publication, with a focus on developing a digital strategy.
You will have a proven track record in journalism and will produce high-quality editorial output online and in print. In conjunction with the editor, you will be responsible for writing and commissioning news, analysis and features and will help set the overall editorial direction.
You will take a lead on MRW’s digital output, with oversight of the website, newsletters and development of MRW’s social media presence.
MRW also runs a materials prices service, which you as part of the team will be expected to help develop.
MRW runs conferences and the industry-leading National Recycling Awards and we work in partnership with the WasteBuild Zero show. You will need to be proactive in working with the events, marketing and accounts teams in support of these.
This role offers a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious journalist to create brilliant content and influence the overall editorial direction. You will lead by example and set a high standard of quality journalism, serving the interests of an engaged audience of subscribers. Issues over resources and waste have become central in the UK and worldwide and you will be in a position to lead the agenda and break big stories ahead of the mainstream media.
You will need to show a high degree of motivation and self-sufficiency. MRW is currently a small team supported by freelancers. There may be scope to take on management of others following future expansion of the team.
- Researching and writing your own news stories, analysis articles and features, plus regular long-form contributions such as investigations.
- Maintaining a calendar of foreseeable news events and monitoring the output of rival media.
- Supporting the editor in delivering editorial output that is legal, of high quality, and meets the needs of MRW’s audience across print, digital and social media.
- Collaborating with the production editor to ensure material is speedily readied for publication, and that MRW stories achieve their full potential using analytics and social media.
- Delivering online content, sending daily newsletters and examining data to track how MRW articles are performing.
- Collaborating with Emap teams that support MRW to boost circulation and develop opportunities for sponsored content.
- Contributing to MRW’s events, including the awards, conference and round tables.
Skills and Experience:
- Experienced journalist, ready to manage others – either directly or through commissioning – as well as your own work.
- Relevant experience writing news material for a business and local authority audience.
- Skilled at building and maintaining the contacts needed to deliver exclusive stories.
- Copy-editing skills to ensure stories have a sharp headline, strong angle and a clear flow of facts.
- Familiar with journalism law and how to write effectively about a litigious industry.
- Experience of working with fast-paced, digital-first formats is preferable, as is familiarity with using analytics to help raise the performance of editorial output.
- The ability to tackle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ideally with an interest in the technical, financial and political aspects of the industry.
- Demonstrable B2B journalism skills with a strong portfolio of published articles.
- Comfortable with the demands of digital media.
- Good at spotting stories in financial reports and from government and regulating agency sources.
- Skilled at developing stories with follow-up reports, including those broken by other publications.
- Organised, able to plan ahead and to prioritise competing tasks.
- Comfortable managing others, delegating work, and providing guidance in a constructive way.
- Organised and able to plan, including managing the work of other people.
- A good communicator, able to think on your feet.
- Able to speedily assimilate information, make quick decisions, and react to rapid developments.
- Confident, self-motivated, and determined to produce work of high quality.
- A team player who enjoys contributing to long-term shared goals.
- Competitive and keen to outdo rival publications.
- Great attention to detail.
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group, together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life insurance cover
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Private virtual GP access
- Income Protection and more
How to apply: Please send your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com
EMAP is part of Metropolis Group. We are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees. These include 25 days of holiday per year with the option to buy or sell), Pension contributions, health plan and life insurance cover, a cycle to work scheme, discounted gym memberships, retail discount vouchers and more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.