EMAP has a long and rich heritage of being the custodian of a portfolio of world-class media brands. We produce content that informs and progresses some of the largest and most respected businesses within the fastest moving and most influential sectors in the UK.
Property Week is the leading news magazine and digital news and intelligence service in the commercial and residential property market. Its audience of over 400,000 developers, agents, architects, lawyers, investors, occupiers, and suppliers such as proptech companies rely on its high-quality news, analysis and insight every day. The magazine is packed with news, features, opinion and analysis, and Property Week keeps readers fully briefed on all the latest information from the industry, including major property deals, development opportunities and investment prospects.
Property Week’s award-winning editorial team also produces various supplements, sector reports and special focus features, focusing on important topics within the industry, from international matters to financial analysis.
Property Week is one of the great business media brands in the UK, and its magazine, website and events shortlisted constantly at the major industry awards. Property Week was awarded Business magazine media brand of the year at the PPA awards in 2020.
As a hands-on Commercial Director, you will be responsible for creating, leading, and inspiring a high performing commercial team, across multiple revenue streams, for EMAP’s £multi-million award winning Property Week portfolio of Print, digital, events and bespoke solutions.
Our industry leading brands sit at the heart of business powerful communities like Health, Construction, Architecture and Fashion. EMAP people are ambitious, curious by nature and use this to create great products and solutions. EMAP people are great communicators to our customers and have deep personal integrity. We are a performance-driven growth business with an entrepreneurial and sociable spirit.
- Develop and implement an operational sales strategy in line with the overall brand strategy for the group.
- Assist the MD in being the figurehead of Property Week in the marketplace
- Identify new revenue streams (NPD on and offline) to generate sustainable growth, year on year.
- Deliver / exceed monthly, quarterly, and annual budgeted revenues for the group,
- Maintain and grow share of advertising/sponsorship revenues.
- Maintain and grow yields through a value-based selling strategy.
- Together with the MD and finance team, prepare budgets and forecasts.
- Manage divisional costs according to budget (e.g., expenses, ad promotion, recruitment costs, P&L of NPD).
- Demonstrate excellent face to face and presentation skills.
- Demonstrate exceptional time management skills- You will be required to manage your time very effectively across an extensive portfolio of brand extensions.
Strategy and Sales Development
- Develop and implement the operational sales plan for each product you are responsible for, on and offline and for events in line with the brand strategy as directed by MD.
- Ensure effective communication of the sales strategy to your team.
- Forecast accurately on a rolling basis, current/next month and annualised revenue/profit by product where applicable.
Market & Product Knowledge
- Ensure a thorough working knowledge of the product sectors for which you are responsible, their brand extensions and the markets in which they operate.
- Ensure full awareness of all competitor activity across print, online and events, including circulation, target audience and sales stories.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the brands key accounts, based on an understanding of their business and market dynamics.
- Understand the customers business environment and their needs.
- Work with your Peer Group i.e., Commercial Directors to develop and implement sales best practice across the wider business.
- Deliver/exceed against brand monthly, quarterly, and annual sales targets (revenue/share/yield)
- Demonstrate clear sales leadership by assisting your direct reports to deliver best practice and revenues.
- Focus on retention and growth, both revenue and customers.
- Define and agree sales area KPI’s; define sales patch, segment opportunity; focus effort and manage, measure market shares and pipelines.
- Attract, retain, and develop great colleagues, helping them develop their careers and creating a high achieving team
- Manage, Coach, and develop direct reports. Ensuring that they are in the best position to deliver to EMAP’s KPI standards.
- Conduct regular appraisals with your direct reports, identifying stretching and developing objectives as appropriate.
- Organise and execute team training.
- Conduct weekly sales meetings with your team.
- Proactively encourage collaboration to achieve team goals.
- Develop an open, honest, and supportive team environment.
Skills and Experience:
- Hard working
- A professional entrepreneur, with a strong commercial awareness.
- Excellent communicator with exceptional negotiation and influencing skills.
- Ability to demonstrate significant experience in leading a high performing, multi-platform commercial team in a fast-paced environment.
- A proven track record of successfully developing individuals, through first rate coaching and leadership.
- Planning & Organisation.
- Commercial Awareness.
- Sales structure & process.
- Relationship Building.
- Communicating and influencing.
- Ability to work with skill and at pace.
- Experience of coaching.
- Effective time management.
- Maintains high accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Professional and well-presented.
- Polite and highly articulate.
- Positive and enthusiastic attitude
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Maintains professionalism.
- Drive and determination.
- Competitive and results orientated.
- Problem solver.
- Appreciation of wider business strategies within EMAP and across the group.
- Self-motivated and competitive nature.
- Takes proactive approach to self – development.
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group, together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life insurance cover
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Private virtual GP access
- Income Protection and more
How to apply:
Please send your CV covering letter with notice and salary expectations to email@example.com. Due to the volume of applications, we receive, we are unable to give individual feedback at the application stage, however if you are successfully shortlisted you will be contacted within 10 working days of the closing date.