- Business: emap
- Base Location: Fleet Street/Hybrid ( 3 days from home, 2 days in the office)
- Brands: Heating & Ventilating News (H&V News) and Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (RAC) Magazine
- Employment Type: Full time, Permanent
- Salary: £30,000
Trading as emap for its B2B division, Metropolis International is a fast-growing business, privately owned Media Group with over £50m of annual revenue, structured in two divisions – consumer media, and business-to-business media. In both parts of the business, we run print magazines, digital content and both face-to-face and virtual awards, conferences, and other events. Metropolis is actively looking at acquiring more media businesses. We employ over 480 people in offices in West London, Croydon, Fleet street, Devon and Dublin.
We are seeking a deputy editor to work across print, online and social media platforms for two of the biggest industry magazines focused on heating, cooling and the wider challenges of making buildings safer, sustainable and more efficient in the drive to decarbonise the country.
Between them, Heating & Ventilating News (H&V News) and Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (RAC) Magazine provide valuable insight and analysis into the heating and cooling industries and how their work ties into a planned revolution of building safety and UK sustainability targets.
These two industries have a vital part to play in the everyday life of everyone on the planet. This applies not only to ensuring affordable and clean heating for homes, sustainable cooling for offices, but also in refrigerating food in supermarkets, and providing ventilation to keep people safe from Covid.
These are just a few of the topics that the magazines cover from month to month.
The role will involve working closely with the editor of H&V News and RAC magazine on our monthly print titles and also playing an important role in covering and leading industry discussions through our podcasts and live events on issues tied to making homes and other buildings better.
This work will include developing and refining skills in covering and sometimes hosting industry discussions, with an opportunity for also presenting podcasts and hosting webinar sessions on topics increasingly at the heart of the national news agenda.
As brands, both H&V News and RAC are active across print, digital and live events. The monthly magazines, published side by side, are supported by regular online news and features coverage and regular information events. For H&V News, we host two online Summits, assembling expertise and opinion into important HVAC matters, from heat pumps to Indoor Air Quality; while RAC hosts an annual F-Gas Question Time, with the supply chain discussing the progress of the legislation which is fundamental to the cooling industry and emission reductions across the UK and EU.
Another vital element of the brands’ activity are our Awards. We have three in the portfolio: The H&Vs, The Cooling Awards and The Energy Awards. All three set a high standard for credibility, incorporating a Dragons’ Den-style judging round. Each black tie event is an industry fixture, attracting significant audiences of 300-600.
It is an exciting time for an ambitious journalist to join us and build their expertise and skills covering a sector that is directly looking at vital national news issues including the debate about how best to use low carbon technologies such as heat pumps and district heating and cooling. That is not to mention potential future developments around hydrogen heat and the closer integration of renewable energy systems and heat recovery with our homes and buildings.
We would love to hear from deputy editors working on specialist trade titles. You could also be an ambitious senior news reporter or news editor looking to take a greater level of responsibility for two leading titles at the heart of responses to the Covid-19 pandemic, climate change mitigation and building safety after Grenfell Tower.
H&V News has been in print for over half a century, while RAC can trace its roots as far back as 1898, so both have built a formidable reputation for authority and leadership. This role provides a chance to build on that legacy.
- Working with the editor to cover daily news online and help plan coverage, features and analysis for the monthly H&V News and RAC Magazine print titles
- Assist with covering major industry events and building contacts that specialise in providing heating, cooling, ventilation and air quality improvements
- Developing skills and taking an active role in planning and hosting sessions for our annual summits looking at air quality, safety and the decarbonisation of buildings
- Representing both magazines at events and industry debates and discussions about the future of the sector
- Learning to take an active role in the wider editorial direction of issues and sometimes assuming responsibility for monthly leader columns on the latest changes and developments in the industry
Skills and experience:
- First-class journalism skills – high level of experience producing quality content for a senior professional audience
- Experience of editing work and reformatting information for the different needs of online and print audiences
- Skills to work with multiple teams on covering and supporting live events and also working with the magazines’ sales director on possible ideas for commercial partnerships
- Ideas and experience in thinking about better making use of social media to engage audiences on latest policy and industry developments
- An ableness and passion to undertake training and develop skills to help devise new editorial approaches to build up both magazines’ reputation and coverage
- Previous experience in presenting or taking part in panel discussions is desirable, but not essential
Learning & Development:
At emap, we believe that employee learning and development are the key drivers of our success. To ensure continuous growth and meet the ever-changing demands of the workplace, we provide an environment that fosters continuous development for our employees.
Our employees are encouraged to identify their areas of personal and professional development aligned with our strategic areas, including management development, health, safety & wellbeing, sales, events management, marketing strategy, editorial, and information technology. We have a structured framework designed to help equip our employees with the necessary knowledge, skills, and behaviors to excel in their job roles, contributing to achieving our organizational objectives.
To support our employees’ career development, we have designed specialized programs, as well as other stand-alone role-specific and generic courses, under the emap academy.
This exciting position is a full-time hybrid role. 2 days in the office, 3 days from home. This could change over time depending on business needs.
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group. Together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life assurance
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Rail season ticket loans
- Private virtual GP access
- Pension scheme
- Income protection and more
- Continuous learning & development opportunities
- Seasonal flu jabs on site
- One paid volunteer day per year
- Summer and Winter parties
- Work from home during August
- In-house Excellence Editorial Awards and other innovation projects
Diversity and Inclusion: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.
How to apply: Please send your CV, covering letter and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of applications, we receive, we are unable to give individual feedback at the application stage, however if you are successfully shortlisted you will be contacted within 10 working days of the closing date.