- Business: emap
- Base Location: Fleet Street
- Brand: Drapers
- Employment Type: Full time (Hybrid), 1 year Maternity Cover
- Salary: £38,000 – £45,000
Drapers aims to help those working in fashion retail make better business decisions through exclusive news, analysis, commentary, and in-depth research. Now in its 136th year, it is the UK’s market leading B2B publication for the fashion industry, with unparalleled authority in the sector.
The deputy editor will help to manage the day-to-day running of the editorial team and execute Drapers’ brand growth strategy. This includes overseeing the editorial team to ensure engaging, accurate and grammatically correct copy is produced in a timely manner, across print, digital, newsletters and social media. A core part of the role will be planning, commissioning, writing and editing content, and taking responsibility for signing off pages for the magazine in the editor’s absence, as well as managing senior members of the Drapers editorial team.
Drapers offers a growing portfolio of events, conferences, awards and smaller bespoke networking events, and the deputy editor will be required to help develop these and, at times, to chair them. As a senior member of the team, the deputy editor will also be expected to act as a brand ambassador at external events.
- Ensuring the content team operates efficiently across print and digital channels, overseeing online content, news and features planning meetings.
- Writing, editing, commissioning and proofing content to a high standard ensuring house style.
- Working with the production, design teams and digital editor to ensure content is optimised online, and the website is kept up to date.
- Day-to-day management of the core team of writers and editors. Direct line management of section editors (news, features and fashion). Carrying out appraisals, and identifying and meeting individuals’ and team development needs, including training requirements and any performance issues.
- Signing off proofs in the editor’s absence and deputising on any final editorial and commercial/ad-related decisions.
- Supporting with new content ideas, digital initiatives and development of events. Attending events, press days, conferences, setting up meetings with senior people in the industry. Chairing sessions at conferences, breakfast roundtables, awards, webinars etc when required.
- Devising new ideas and products that could have commercial opportunities and working closely with the commercial team to drive sponsorship, attending client meetings when required.
Skills and experience:
- NCTJ qualification, or equivalent journalism training or experience
- Effective people management
- Ability to write, commission, edit and proof copy to a high standard
- Strategic planning
- Exceptional written English
- Excellent communication and people management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Collaborative and creative approach to working
- Ability to work efficiently across different functions of the business
- A curious nature with a strong attention to detail
Learning & Development
At emap, we believe that employee learning and development are the key drivers of our success. To ensure continuous growth and meet the ever-changing demands of the workplace, we provide an environment that fosters continuous development for our employees.
Our employees are encouraged to identify their areas of personal and professional development aligned with our strategic areas, including management development, health, safety & wellbeing, sales, events management, marketing strategy, editorial, and information technology. We have a structured framework designed to help equip our employees with the necessary knowledge, skills, and behaviors to excel in their job roles, contributing to achieving our organizational objectives.
To support our employees’ career development, we have designed specialized programs, as well as other stand-alone role-specific and generic courses, under the emap academy.
Application closing date 30th Sept 2023
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group. Together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life assurance
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Rail season ticket loans
- Private virtual GP access
- Pension scheme
- Income protection and more
- Continuous learning & development opportunities
- Seasonal flu jabs on site
- One paid volunteer day per year
- Summer and Winter parties
- Work from home during August
- In-house Excellence Awards and other innovation projects
Diversity and Inclusion: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.
How to apply: Please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com. Due to the volume of applications, we receive, we are unable to give individual feedback at the application stage, however if you are successfully shortlisted you will be contacted within 10 working days of the closing date.