- Business: emap
- Brands: Mortgage Strategy, Mortgage Finance Gazette
- Base Location: Croydon/Hybrid ( 3 days from home, 2 days in the office)
- Employment Type: Full time, Permanent
- Salary: from £35,000 DOE
emap is a progressive B2B subscriptions, networking and content business with industry-leading brands, reaching customers across multiple touch points including online, print, and face-to-face at events, exhibitions and awards.
Overall Purpose of the Role:
The Deputy Group Editor assists the Group Editor in the overall editorial responsibility for their titles. This includes people management and operational and strategic responsibility for maintaining and expanding circulation of existing print and online offerings. The job holder is also responsible for successfully developing digital and web brands, as well as delivering an engaging events proposition for the brand and supporting commercial activity and creative solutions opportunities.
- Writing news and features for the monthly print magazine and online
- Networking and attending industry events
- Securing exclusive stories
- Sending regular email news alerts (training provided)
- Deputising for the editor
- Making key contacts in the industry
- Proofing content
- Working with the editor to continually improve the proposition
- Assist with the accuracy, quality, platform neutrality and audience appropriateness of the content of the brands both in print and online
- Assist with the delivery and deadlines across news and features
- Generate ideas for news and features for self-written, team and commissioned content
- Edit features and ensure they are fit to be published, including requesting amendments and rewrites
- Assist with managing all contributors to Mortgage Strategy/Mortgage Finance Gazette
- Train and develop staff as required
Skills and experience:
- Exemplary journalism skills both in producing valuable and insightful written content and editing own work and that of others
- A minimum of two years’ experience in financial journalism. Knowledge of the mortgage market preferred, but not essential
- A strong sense for news and a drive to secure it
- Experience interviewing senior business figures
- The ability to learn quickly and work to tight deadlines
- Good social and networking skills
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Exemplary day to day people management skills to drive delivery of key objectives and targets.
- Strong creative and visual skills
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written, that include ensuring information and data is passed up and down through all levels in area of influence.
- Ability to work efficiently and manage conflicting priorities and multiple deadlines.
Career & Personal Development:
We have a dedicated in-house Learning and Developing coordinator to guide you and support you with your career development.
Here at emap, we consider employee learning & development very fundamental to the continuous success of our businesses. As a result, we provide an environment where continuous development takes place, and employees are supported to meet the ever-changing demands and priorities of the workplace.
To achieve this goal, our employees are encouraged to identify respective areas of personal and professional development focused on six (6) strategic areas (Management & People: Health; Safety; Wellbeing, Sales, Events, Marketing, Editorial, Information Technology), and we have a framework to help equip employees with the right knowledge, skills and behaviors required to deliver in their job roles, which ultimately contributes value towards achieving set organizational objectives.
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group. Together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life assurance
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Rail season ticket loans
- Continuous learning & development opportunities for editors
- Quarterly In-house Editorial Excellence Awards
- Optional- one paid volunteer day per year
- Private virtual GP access
- Pension scheme
- Income protection and more
Equipment: Due to hybrid working, laptops are provided.
Place of work: This exciting position is a full-time hybrid role. 2 days in the office, 3 days from home. This could change over time depending on business needs.
Diversity and Inclusion: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.
How to apply: Please send a CV and a covering letter, including your salary expectations and notice period, plus examples of your work.