The digital editor will take charge not only of writing breaking industry news but for driving improvements and helping to shape the direction of the TalkingRetail.com platform. In particular, we are looking for someone with the ideas and enthusiasm to drive greater user engagement with the brand and help create a higher-quality audience. They will have strong social media skills and experience in a similar role, enabling them to bring to the table new ideas and best practice.
The successful candidate will be a pro-active, dynamic digital editor who can bring their own ideas to the table, who know how to use analytics and will help drive the digital offer forwards, drive innovation and bring fresh perspective on our social media strategy. They may also have experience of video and podcasting.
- Driving and managing all editorial elements of the TalkingRetail.com website and other associated digital products from the Emap retail portfolio such as our daily email newsletters. These responsibilities also encompass liaison with all internal and external companies/departments that relate to this role.
- Writing news and other stories for the website, maintaining a rolling online news service and regular newsletter/communications programme. Uploading content from sister magazine Independent Retail News and tailoring this to the digital environment.
- Managing, maintaining and improving social media links to TalkingRetail.com such as Facebook and Twitter in order to drive awareness, traffic and user engagement.
- Taking lead role in monitoring site analytics to identify trends and areas of focus/improvement, and sharing those stats with other stakeholders. Helping to drive improvements based on these insights to grow traffic and reader engagement.
- Helping shape digital strategy, initiating and contributing ideas and driving changes and improvements as necessary. Liaison with the web team to realise enhancements to the site as required.
- Representing the TalkingRetail/IRN brand at sector events such as conferences and product launches, taking an active ambassadorial role.
- Liaising with the commercial manager to help develop and implement revenue-generating opportunities on the website and associated digital projects.
- Responsible for helping to increase reader engagement with the brands, with key performance indicators including time on site, number of stores read, length of sessions, number of user comments.
- The individual needs to be pro-active, highly disciplined, well-organised and capable of managing the expectations of both internal and external customers. Good written and oral communication skills are essential, as is the requirement for clear
- knowledge and understanding of WordPress and other programs needed to upload stories and images, manage social media posts and create newsletters.
- Flexibility, adaptability, able to work on own initiative. The individual needs to be able to take the initiative and instigate improvements to the digital products, with reference to the group editor and other interested parties as necessary, in order to build site traffic and user engagement.
- Strong news sense, news writing and subbing skills, interviewing, headline writing, proof-reading and editing, content management skills, picture editing skills
- Strong social media skills, especially LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Working with the editor to source news stories for the website on a daily basis (excluding weekends), using appropriate news websites, email newslists, press releases, direct contacts and other relevant sources.
- Uploading regular and timely news stories on to the website in line with website strategy, ensuring factual accuracy of stories, legal compliance, good grammar, spelling and readability as well as search-engine friendliness.
- Liaison with magazine editorial and production to re-purpose suitable content from magazine in line with agreed strategy.
- Sourcing and sizing images and adding them to stories, maintaining image library within content management system
- Liasing with Content & Community Editor to ensure regular flow of Product News stories is posted on site, subbing product news articles if required and adding SEO-friendly headlines and identifying tags. Coordinating with Content & Community Editor and others to ensure stories are uploaded correctly and have images added as appropriate and are correctly tagged.
- Accurate and consistent tagging of stories with appropriate keywords, addition of internal and internal links in line with website strategy. Managing tagging taxonomy.
- Editing material to adhere to SEO best practice and style guide
- Moderating user comments if required, in line with legal constraints, acceptability and editorial policies
- Identifying any bugs that need fixing, enhancements needed to the web products and raising these with the relevant web/newsletter/IT support departments.
- Creating and maintaining online polls
- Liaison with events team to ensure timely posting of materials relating to retail portfolio events, primarily the Retail Industry Awards
- Helping develop new content areas for the digital products as and when required and ensuring appropriate content is completed to specified deadlines.
- Other ad hoc editorial tasks as may be required from time to time.
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group, together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life insurance cover
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Private virtual GP access
- Income Protection and more