- Business: emap
- Base Location: Shoreditch
- Brand: The Architects’ Journal
- Employment Type: Full time, Permanent
- Salary: £28,000 – £30,000 DOE
Application closing date 30th September 2022
Are you passionate about driving digital engagement, high-quality journalism and maybe architecture too? Then you could be the AJ’s next Digital Assistant Editor!
The Architects’ Journal (AJ) is the leading professional publication for the UK’s architectural community. Thanks to our award-winning news, hard-hitting features and important campaigns, our website attracts millions of visitors a year and we have a sizeable following on social media too.
Overseen by the Head of Engagement, you would be in charge of our daily digital output, including editorial newsletters and social media. You would manage our website, making sure stories are SEO-optimised and that our online presence is standout. Podcasts and video are also produced by the AJ, so you would lead on delivering those, along with any commercial activity.
We’re looking for someone who would enjoy working closely with a small editorial team, particularly our news desk who produce the majority of our online content. You might advise them on the right headline for their piece, and the myriad other things that would improve engagement. You’ll need a head for numbers as you will be tracking story performance and informing your colleagues.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with a background in digital journalism, and some knowledge of or interest in the built environment or architecture industries. What’s essential though is that you are an enthusiastic team player, comfortable working to tight deadlines and a creative problem-solver. We are also looking for an excellent communicator and stylish writer, who can craft engaging social posts and email subject lines to promote our content.
- Newsletter planning and sending
- Checking all website stories & optimising for SEO
- Planning the content calendar in collaboration with the editorial team
- Advising the editorial team on story set up
- Daily reporting of story performance
- Management of website pages
- Managing print content going online
- Social media posting & social listening
- Advertorials & sponsored social, delivery of other commercial packages
- Publishing podcasts & videos
- Shopify & other platforms management
- Attendance at AJ events
Desirable skills & experience:
- Experience working in a news or digital publishing environment
- Strong interest in online journalism
- Social media management espec. Instagram
- Familiar with analytics programs, ideally Adobe Analytics
- Experience of WordPress
- Digital skills such as video and audio recording or editing are a bonus
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group, together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life insurance cover
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Private virtual GP access
- Income Protection and more
We positively celebrate Diversity & Inclusion in emap. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds because it makes our company stronger. We are committed to achieving a working environment that provides equality of opportunity and freedom from discrimination. We aim to become the most inclusive business in Publishing- both for our people and our customers, reflecting and connecting with the diverse communities that we work with. We want people from all backgrounds to feel valued for their individuality and to thrive in our business and feel part of the Metropolis Group.