- Business: emap
- Base Location: Fleet Street, London
- Brand: Drapers
- Employment Type: Full time (Hybrid), 1 year Maternity Cover
- Salary: £35,700
Drapers aims to help those working in fashion retail make better business decisions through exclusive news, analysis, commentary, and in-depth research. Now in its 136th year, it is the UK’s market leading B2B publication for the fashion industry, with unparalleled authority in the sector.
The deputy editor will help to manage the day-to-day running of the editorial team and execute Drapers’ brand growth strategy. This includes overseeing the editorial team to ensure engaging, accurate and grammatically correct copy is produced in a timely manner, across print, digital, newsletters and social media. A core part of the role will be planning, commissioning, writing and editing content, and taking responsibility for signing off pages for the magazine in the editor’s absence, as well as managing senior members of the Drapers editorial team.
Drapers offers a growing portfolio of events, conferences, awards and smaller bespoke networking events, and the deputy editor will be required to help develop these and, at times, to chair them. As a senior member of the team, the deputy editor will also be expected to act as a brand ambassador at external events.
Planning and execution of features
- Oversee the production of all features content, including planning and allocating features to writers, and commissioning freelancers
- Edit the bulk of our features content, and come up with a plan each month for distributing the rest of the editing to other senior members of the team
- Lead the monthly features planning meeting, and design meeting
- Contribute ideas and content to the weekly digital schedule
- Develop and manage a network of top-class freelancers
- Keep the editorial planner up to date, and advise production/art/commercial of any changes
- Ensure all writers are well briefed and copy robustly edited for accuracy and legality
- Ensure the features section covers a breadth of sectors and determine which subjects should be covered, in which depth
- Continually improve the quality of our content, ensuring it is written concisely, and with a business audience in mind
- Work with the production team and digital editor to optimise headlines for effectiveness, and ensure all copy is published according to house style and the highest standards of spelling, grammar and writing style
- Work with the art team to ensure all content is presented to the highest standard, coming up with new design and layout ideas across print and digital
- Lead the annual 30 Under 30 project
- Support with news writing/editing as required, including newsletter shifts
- Curate and lead the monthly Spotlight on Sustainabilty newsletter
- Assist the team in covering both UK-based and international trade shows
- Contribute, when required, to the success of Drapers events and awards, including suggesting speakers and judges, and chairing panels where appropriate
- Build strong contacts and relationships with key industry names across different sectors
- Attend key industry events as senior member of the team
- Take the editorial lead on the Drapers Independents Awards. Managing categories, criteria, shortlisting and judging day.
Skills and experience:
- NCTJ qualification, or equivalent journalism training or experience
- Effective people management
- Ability to write, commission, edit and proof copy to a high standard
- Strategic planning
- Exceptional written English
- Excellent communication and people management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Collaborative and creative approach to working
- Ability to work efficiently across different functions of the business
- A curious nature with a strong attention to detail
Learning & Development
At emap, we believe that employee learning and development are the key drivers of our success. To ensure continuous growth and meet the ever-changing demands of the workplace, we provide an environment that fosters continuous development for our employees.
Our employees are encouraged to identify their areas of personal and professional development aligned with our strategic areas, including management development, health, safety & wellbeing, sales, events management, marketing strategy, editorial, and information technology. We have a structured framework designed to help equip our employees with the necessary knowledge, skills, and behaviors to excel in their job roles, contributing to achieving our organizational objectives.
To support our employees’ career development, we have designed specialized programs, as well as other stand-alone role-specific and generic courses, under the emap academy.
Application closing date 15th Dec 2023
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group. Together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life assurance
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Rail season ticket loans
- Private virtual GP access
- Pension scheme
- Income protection and more
- Continuous learning & development opportunities
- Seasonal flu jabs on site
- One paid volunteer day per year
- Summer and Winter parties
- Work from home during August
- In-house Excellence Awards and other innovation projects
Diversity and Inclusion: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.
How to apply: Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the volume of applications, we receive, we are unable to give individual feedback at the application stage, however if you are successfully shortlisted you will be contacted within 10 working days of the closing date.