- Business: emap
- Brand: New Civil Engineer
- Base Location: Fleet/Hybrid (3 days from home, 2 days in the office)
- Employment Type: Full time, Permanent
- Salary: £35,000- £38,000 DOE + Benefits
Are you an experienced journalist who is intrigued by the built environment and infrastructure? Do you have an interest in how political decisions impact investment in road, rail, airports, water and energy infrastructure? Do you want the articles you write or edit to influence people who deliver and maintain this essential infrastructure and support them in undertaking that task, while also moving towards carbon net zero?
New Civil Engineer (NCE) and newcivilengineer.com is the leading name in delivering name in the civil engineering sector with a 50 year history of providing compelling, insightful and technically grounded news and features. It is the official magazine of the Institution of Civil Engineers and read by 50,000 both in the UK and internationally.
NCE is for searching for a news editor to join the team to support the magazine in developing, shaping and driving its content – both online and in print – and its events programme.
The role would suit someone who has experience of the sector looking to make the leap into the news editor role or someone with news editing experience on smaller brand and looking to gain broader skills.
- Chairing daily news meetings, allocating stories and editing online news content.
- Choosing and ordering stories for daily newsletters in the morning and afternoon, as well as taking the lead on planning our monthly newsletters.
- Taking the lead on delivery of NCE’s social media strategy.
- Analysing readership of stories online to understand trends and drive engagement.
- Selecting and editing news and analysis content for print.
- Developing a strong list of industry contacts to become an ambassador for NCE, as well as to build a pipeline of exclusive news stories.
- Maintaining a calendar of foreseeable news events and monitoring the output of rival media.
- Researching and writing your own news stories, analysis and opinion pieces, plus regular long-form contributions such as investigations and features.
- Supporting the editor and deputy editor in delivering editorial output that is legal, of high quality, and meets the needs of NCE’s audience across print, digital and social media.
- Managing your direct reports and guiding their development.
- Contributing to NCE’s live events and webinars by chairing or planning events.
Skills and Experience
- Experienced journalist, ready to manage others as well as your own work.
- Relevant experience writing news material for a business audience and understanding of how to disseminate complex technical stories.
- Skilled at building and maintaining the contacts needed to deliver exclusive stories.
- Copy-editing skills to ensure stories have a sharp headline, strong angle and a clear flow of facts.
- Familiar with journalism law and how to write effectively about a litigious industry.
- Ready to offer guidance to other writers on angles and news gathering approach.
- Experience of working with fast-paced, digital-first formats is preferable, as is familiarity with using analytics to help raise the performance of editorial output.
- The ability to tackle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ideally with an interest in the technical, financial and political aspects of the industry.
- A thirst for news with demonstrable B2B journalism skills and a strong portfolio of published news stories
- The ability to turn a tip-off into a publishable news story
- Ability to appreciate the content needs of NCE’s audience and to engage with essential contacts within the sector
- First-class writing skills, including the ability to write concise copy
- Excellent people skills
- Data analytical skills desirable
- Tenacious, diligent and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
- Organised, able to plan ahead and to prioritise competing tasks.
Career & Personal Development:
We have a dedicated in-house Learning and Developing coordinator to guide you and support you with your career development.
Here at emap, we consider employee learning & development very fundamental to the continuous success of our businesses. As a result, we provide an environment where continuous development takes place, and employees are supported to meet the ever-changing demands and priorities of the workplace.
To achieve this goal, our employees are encouraged to identify respective areas of personal and professional development focused on six (6) strategic areas (Management & People: Health; Safety; Wellbeing, Sales, Events, Marketing, Editorial, Information Technology), and we have a framework to help equip employees with the right knowledge, skills and behaviors required to deliver in their job roles, which ultimately contributes value towards achieving set organizational objectives.
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group, together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life assurance
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Rail season ticket loans
- Continuous learning & Development opportunities for Editors
- Quarterly In-house Editorial Excellence Awards
- Optional- one paid Volunteer day per year
- Private virtual GP access
- Seasonal flue jabs on site
- Pension scheme
- Income Protection and more
Please apply with your CV, covering letter and examples of work.