- Business: emap
- Brand: New Civil Engineer
- Base Location: Fleet Street/Hybrid ( 3 days from home, 2 days in the office)
- Employment Type: Full time, Permanent
- Salary: £ competitive
Are you an experienced journalist who is intrigued by the built environment and infrastructure? Do you have an interest in how political decisions impact investment in road, rail, airports, water and energy infrastructure? Do you want the articles you write or edit to influence people who deliver and maintain this essential infrastructure and support them in undertaking that task, while also moving towards carbon net zero?
New Civil Engineer (NCE) and newcivilengineer.com is the leading name in delivering name in the civil engineering sector with a 50 year history of providing compelling, insightful and technically grounded news and features. It is the official magazine of the Institution of Civil Engineers and read by 50,000 both in the UK and internationally and is renowned for the high quality and technical focus of its content.
NCE is for searching for a news editor to join the team to support the magazine in developing, shaping and driving its content – both online and in print – and its events programme.
The role would suit someone who has experience of the sector looking to make the leap into the news editor role or someone with news editing experience on smaller brand and looking to gain broader skills.
- Chairing daily news meetings, allocating stories and editing online news content.
- Choosing and ordering stories for daily newsletters in the morning and afternoon, as well as taking the lead on planning our monthly newsletters.
- Taking the lead on delivery of NCE’s social media strategy.
- Analysing readership of stories online to understand trends and drive engagement.
- Selecting and editing news and analysis content for print.
- Developing a strong list of industry contacts to become an ambassador for NCE, as well as to build a pipeline of exclusive news stories.
- Maintaining a calendar of foreseeable news events and monitoring the output of rival media.
- Researching and writing your own news stories, analysis and opinion pieces, plus regular long-form contributions such as investigations and features.
- Supporting the editor and deputy editor in delivering editorial output that is legal, of high quality, and meets the needs of NCE’s audience across print, digital and social media.
- Managing your direct reports and guiding their development.
- Contributing to NCE’s live events and webinars by chairing or planning events.
- Training and supporting the development of the reporters to build their skills and capabilities.
Skills and Experience
- Experienced journalist, with journalism qualifications and a proven track record who is ready to manage others, as well as your own work.
- Relevant experience writing news material for a business audience and understanding of how to disseminate complex technical stories.
- Skilled at building and maintaining the contacts needed to deliver exclusive stories.
- Copy-editing skills to ensure stories have a sharp headline, strong angle and a clear flow of facts.
- Experienced in digital skills necessary – or capable of quickly picking up those needed – to develop the website, manage social media platforms and ensure NCE is leveraging all engagement opportunities.
- Familiar with journalism law and how to write effectively about a litigious industry.
- Ready to offer guidance to other writers on angles and news gathering approach.
- Familiarity with using data analytics to help raise the performance of editorial output.
- The ability to tackle multiple tasks simultaneously and work in a fast paced environment.
- Ideally with an interest in the technical, financial and political aspects of the industry.
- A thirst for news with demonstrable B2B journalism skills and a strong portfolio of published news stories
- The ability to turn a tip-off into a publishable news story
- Ability to appreciate the content needs of NCE’s audience and to engage with essential contacts within the sector
- First-class writing skills, including the ability to write concise copy
- Excellent people skills
- Data analytical skills and knowledge of digital solutions
- Knowledge and understanding of SEO
- Tenacious, diligent and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
- Organised, able to plan ahead and to prioritise competing tasks.
Learning & Development
At emap, we believe that employee learning and development are the key drivers of our success. To ensure continuous growth and meet the ever-changing demands of the workplace, we provide an environment that fosters continuous development for our employees.
Our employees are encouraged to identify their areas of personal and professional development aligned with our strategic areas, including management development, health, safety & wellbeing, sales, events management, marketing strategy, editorial, and information technology. We have a structured framework designed to help equip our employees with the necessary knowledge, skills, and behaviors to excel in their job roles, contributing to achieving our organizational objectives.
To support our employees’ career development, we have designed specialized programs, as well as other stand-alone role-specific and generic courses, under the emap academy.
This exciting position is a full-time hybrid role. 2 days in the office, 3 days from home. This could change over time depending on business needs.
Please apply with your CV, covering letter and examples of work.
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group. Together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life assurance
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Rail season ticket loans
- Private virtual GP access
- Pension scheme
- Income protection and more
- Continuous learning & development opportunities
- Seasonal flu jabs on site
- One paid volunteer day per year
- Summer and Winter parties
- Work from home during August
- In-house Excellence Awards and other innovation projects
Diversity and Inclusion: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.