- Business: emap
- Job Title: Reporter
- Brands: Mortgage Strategy/Mortgage Finance Gazette
- Base Location: Remote-Hybrid – mainly remotely, occasional office days. Office location: Croydon, London
- Employment Type: Full time, contract – maternity cover until March 2024 (there may be opportunity to further this role within emap after the contract ends)
- Salary: £26,000- £30,000 DOE
Overall Purpose of the Role:
As a reporter for Mortgage Strategy/Mortgage Finance Gazette, you will produce market-leading news, analysis, and features.
You will be a real news hound, seeking out quality stories ahead of the competition, developing a strong understanding of market issues and articulating these across a variety of formats. Your content will drive interest to the brands’ websites and print title. Working with the editor and deputy editor, you will be proactive in coming up with new content ideas that make the publication stand out.
You will be confident in establishing contacts within the mortgage market and get to know the issues that matter most to Mortgage Strategy and Mortgage Finance Gazette’s audiences.
- Maintaining a strong network of contacts to break exclusive news stories
- Respond quickly and accurately to rolling news stories
- Conduct longer-form analyses and comment pieces on the market
- Produce market-leading content across all formats
- Be an ideas generator, constantly looking forward to what would resonate best with our audiences
- Develop advanced news gathering skills like public records searches and legal requests for documents
- Represent our brands in the market and develop a personal brand that improves the title’s exposure
Skills and experience:
- Undergraduate degree
- Evidence of previous interest in journalism
- NCTJ or master’s degree in journalism preferrable or equivalent
- General interest in financial news desirable
- Shorthand advantageous
- Audio editing/broadcasting/podcasting skills highly desirable
- Talent at writing timely, accurate news copy
- Ability to generate leads through contact base
- Exceptional interviewing and questioning skills
- Ability to produce quality features and long form comment
- Ability to use appropriate brand writing style
- Collaborative team player
- Shares expertise with team members
- Strategic, critical thinker
- Proactive work ethic
- Professional attitude
- Competitive outlook that strives to be best in our market
- Outgoing and willing to forge new relationships
- Confident speaker
- Constantly curious
- Confident to constructively challenge where necessary
Learning & Development
At emap, we believe that employee learning and development are the key drivers of our success. To ensure continuous growth and meet the ever-changing demands of the workplace, we provide an environment that fosters continuous development for our employees.
Our employees are encouraged to identify their areas of personal and professional development aligned with our strategic areas, including management development, health, safety & wellbeing, sales, events management, marketing strategy, editorial, and information technology. We have a structured framework designed to help equip our employees with the necessary knowledge, skills, and behaviors to excel in their job roles, contributing to achieving our organizational objectives.
To support our employees’ career development, we have designed specialized programs, as well as other stand-alone role-specific and generic courses, under the emap academy.
This exciting position is a full-time hybrid role. 2 days in the office, 3 days from home. This could change over time depending on business needs.
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group. Together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life assurance
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Rail season ticket loans
- Private virtual GP access
- Pension scheme
- Income protection and more
- Continuous learning & development opportunities
- Seasonal flu jabs on site
- One paid volunteer day per year
- Summer and Winter parties
- Work from home during August
- In-house Excellence Awards and other innovation projects
Diversity and Inclusion: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.
How to apply: Please send your CV, covering letter and work samples to email@example.com . Due to the volume of applications, we receive, we are unable to give individual feedback at the application stage, however if you are successfully shortlisted you will be contacted within 10 working days of the closing date.