- Business: emap
- Job Title: Reporter
- Brands: Mortgage Strategy/Mortgage Finance Gazette
- Base Location: Remote-Hybrid – mainly remotely, occasional office days. Office location: Croydon, London
- Employment Type: Full time, 1 year contract – maternity cover (there may be opportunity to further this role within emap after the contract ends)
- Salary: £26,000- £30,000 DOE
Overall Purpose of the Role:
As a reporter for Mortgage Strategy/Mortgage Finance Gazette, you will produce market-leading news, analysis, and features.
You will be a real news hound, seeking out quality stories ahead of the competition, developing a strong understanding of market issues and articulating these across a variety of formats. Your content will drive interest to the brands’ websites and print title. Working with the editor and deputy editor, you will be proactive in coming up with new content ideas that make the publication stand out.
You will be confident in establishing contacts within the mortgage market and get to know the issues that matter most to Mortgage Strategy and Mortgage Finance Gazette’s audiences.
- Maintaining a strong network of contacts to break exclusive news stories
- Respond quickly and accurately to rolling news stories
- Conduct longer-form analyses and comment pieces on the market
- Produce market-leading content across all formats
- Be an ideas generator, constantly looking forward to what would resonate best with our audiences
- Develop advanced news gathering skills like public records searches and legal requests for documents
- Represent our brands in the market and develop a personal brand that improves the title’s exposure
Skills and experience:
- Undergraduate degree
- Evidence of previous interest in journalism
- NCTJ or master’s degree in journalism preferrable or equivalent
- General interest in financial news desirable
- Shorthand advantageous
- Audio editing/broadcasting/podcasting skills highly desirable
- Talent at writing timely, accurate news copy
- Ability to generate leads through contact base
- Exceptional interviewing and questioning skills
- Ability to produce quality features and long form comment
- Ability to use appropriate brand writing style
- Collaborative team player
- Shares expertise with team members
- Strategic, critical thinker
- Proactive work ethic
- Professional attitude
- Competitive outlook that strives to be best in our market
- Outgoing and willing to forge new relationships
- Confident speaker
- Constantly curious
- Confident to constructively challenge where necessary
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group, together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life assurance
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Rail season ticket loans
- Continuous learning & Development opportunities for Editors
- Quarterly In-house Editorial Excellence Awards
- Volunteer day
- Private virtual GP access
- Seasonal flue jabs on site
- Pension scheme
- Income Protection and more
Equipment: Due to hybrid working laptops are provided.
Place of work: This exciting position is a full-time hybrid role. 2 days in the office, 3 days from home. This could change over time depending on business needs.
Diversity and Inclusion: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.
How to apply: Please send a CV and a covering letter, including your salary expectations and notice period, plus 3 examples of your work to email@example.com. Due to the volume of applications, we receive, we are unable to give individual feedback at the application stage, however if you are successfully shortlisted you will be contacted within 10 working days of the closing date.