New Civil Engineer offers insight, inspiration and education to a 90,000-strong network of global infrastructure professionals. We are now looking for a skilled writer to join our award-winning team help drive our knowledge-sharing content.
WHAT IS NEW CIVIL ENGINEER
Fundamentally New Civil Engineer exists to enable infrastructure professionals to better themselves and the companies they work for so that they are equipped to deliver the infrastructure that is needed by their clients and by society at large.
We do that by ensuring they have access to the latest information on technical innovation, technology advances, global opportunities, skills’ needs and business change initiatives aimed at boosting productivity in the industry.
The audience is 90,000 infrastructure professionals who are typically working for infrastructure clients, designers and deliverers around the world.
We are seeking someone with a talent for writing precise, accurate copy that can be used by professional engineers to enhance their careers. These will be news stories, as well as longer in-depth features. The
role will involve working closely with industry partners to ensure that content is useful, actionable and of clear interest to our readers.
As a reporter on NCE you will join Emap’s editorial skills academy that will provide additional formal and in-house training and support, plus peer to peer networking within the business. Provided you meet defined career development goals and targets, the academy creates a clear pathway to becoming a senior reporter within two years.
- Day to day newsdesk contributions through writing news stories and longer news insight pieces, building contacts, sourcing stories and bringing in industry exclusives.
- Research, write and generate ideas for features and in-depth reports, providing background and summaries of key industry topics, carrying out research, writing and editing copy.
- Develop New Civil Engineer’s multimedia content, including social media and video.
- Representing the brand at in-house and industry events.
- Sustaining good relationships with industry contacts.
- Maintaining a solid awareness of industry developments.
- Liaising with sales, marketing and events teams to support their objectives.
Skills and experience:
- Educated to degree level.
- Completed a MA level journalism course or a NCTJ Diploma in Journalism course.
- A familiarity with media law.
- Shorthand capability preferred.
- Understanding of social media platforms.
- Knowledge and interest in video journalism an advantage, but not essential.
- Good eye for detail and able to produce clean copy.
- Quick learner, who is not afraid to delve into technical subjects.
- Confident interviewer, capable of asking pertinent questions and finding good hooks for stories.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines with accuracy.
- Curiosity about the world about you and the built environment.
- Able to feel comfortable talking to anyone from CEOs through to people delivering work on site
- Able to frame questions to get to the heart of the detail and understand the technical challenges of the work being delivered.
- Confident and motivated working independently as well as within a team.
- Adaptable with a positive approach to new challenges.
Place of work:
This exciting position is a full-time hybrid role. 2 days in the office, 3 days from home. This could change over time depending on business needs.
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group, together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life insurance cover
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Private virtual GP access
- Income Protection and more
Diversity and Inclusion: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.