- Business: emap
- Brand: Property Week
- Base Location: Croydon/Hybrid ( 3 days from home, 2 days in the office)
- Employment Type: Full time, Permanent
- Salary: £30,000 DOE
Overall Purpose of the Role:
- Property Week is the leading provider of news, insight and events for the UK commercial and residential property industry. In this role you will join an award-winning team serving a highly engaged audience of paying subscribers.
- As Section Editor responsible for Legal & Professional coverage, you will oversee timely stories that focus on politics, policy and legislation, as well as management and governance topics of interest to property professionals.
- This patch has never been more important. Pressing concerns include building safety in the wake of the Grenfell Tower tragedy and subsequent cladding crisis, the shifting government position on levelling-up and urban regeneration, and ongoing debates around appropriate taxation. Your remit will also encompass environmental and sustainability issues in the built environment, plus the industry’s need to improve equality, diversity and inclusion.
- You will be a keen and curious journalist, with experience of delivering both news and long-form content for a business audience. Ideally you will be familiar with both print and online schedules.
- Property is a busy industry and a backbone of the UK economy. You will have the opportunity to pursue high-profile stories of national importance.
- You will be an outgoing people person, able to cultivate contacts across the full spectrum of property professions and policy makers, from finance and construction experts to lawyers and consultants, as well as politicians in local and central government.
- Planning and delivering content within your remit, fulfilled through your own journalism as well as commissioning contributors.
- Maintaining a calendar of foreseeable events relevant to your beat, particularly with respect to upcoming legislation and regulation, to ensure PW informs readers of significant policy shifts – and their implications – in good time.
- Developing long-term plans around investigative or campaigning topics, such as the property industry’s gender pay gap.
- Supporting the Editor and Head of Content in delivering editorial output that is legal, of high quality, and meets the needs of PW’s audience across print, digital and social media.
- Collaborating with PW production and digital staff to ensure material is speedily readied for publication, and that PW stories achieve their full potential online.
- Participating in PW’s live and digital events as required.
Skills and experience:
- Enough journalism experience to manage contributors as well as your own work.
- Familiar with the demands of writing news and features for an audience of business subscribers.
- Able to build and maintain the network of contacts needed to deliver exclusive stories.
- Copy-editing skills to ensure long-form stories are well structured and clearly argued.
- Experience of working with fast-paced, digital-first formats is preferable.
- The ability to tackle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ideally with an interest in business finance and politics as well as the built environment.
- Demonstrable B2B journalism skills with a strong portfolio of published work.
- Organised, able to plan ahead and to prioritise competing tasks.
- Familiar with the various ways of securing off-diary stories.
- Skilled at developing an unfolding story through follow-up articles.
- Organised, intelligent and adaptable
- A good communicator
- Confident, self-motivated, and determined to produce work of high quality
- A team player who enjoys contributing to long-term shared goals
- Competitive and keen to outdo rival publications
- Motivated to share insights and help the development of less experienced colleagues
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group, together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life insurance cover
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Private virtual GP access
- Income Protection and more
Place of work: This exciting position is a full-time hybrid role. 2 days in the office, 3 days from home. This could change over time depending on business needs.
Diversity and Inclusion: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.
How to apply: Please send your CV covering letter with notice and salary expectations to email@example.com. Due to the volume of applications, we receive, we are unable to give individual feedback at the application stage, however if you are successfully shortlisted you will be contacted within 10 working days of the closing date.
N.B. The role profile identifies the key responsibilities and competencies required in the role. It is not an exhaustive list of tasks that need to be completed. The Company reserves the right to amend the role profile as the role develops with the business.