- Business: emap
- Base Location: Fleet Street
- Brand: New Civil Engineer
- Employment Type: Full time (Hybrid), Permanent
- Salary: £25k – £28k DOE
Are you journalist with a couple of years experience who is intrigued by the built environment and infrastructure? Do you have an interest in how political decisions impact investment in road, rail, airports, water and energy infrastructure? Do you want the articles you write or edit to influence people who deliver and maintain this essential infrastructure and support them in undertaking that task, while also moving towards carbon net zero?
New Civil Engineer (NCE) and newcivilengineer.com is the leading name in delivering name in the civil engineering sector with a 50 year history of providing compelling, insightful and technically grounded news and features. It is the official magazine of the Institution of Civil Engineers and read by 50,000 both in the UK and internationally and is renowned for the high quality and technical focus of its content.
NCE is for searching for a senior reporter to join the team to support the magazine in developing, shaping and driving its content – both online and in print – and its events programme.
The role would suit someone who has worked on either a B2B brand or in local news reporting – the key skill is having an eye for a good story and the ability to ask the right questions to draw out the technical detail.
- Contributing to daily news meetings with ideas for news content from both off diary leads and press contacts
- Interviewing industry experts to write two to three authoritative news stories each day that delve beyond the headlines reported by the mainstream media to add technical insight to the issues of the day
- Helping to deliver NCE’s social media strategy
- Developing a strong list of industry contacts to become an ambassador for NCE, as well as to build a pipeline of exclusive news stories.
- Researching and writing regular long-form contributions such as investigations and features.
- Supporting the senior editors to deliver NCE’s editorial strategy
Skills and Experience
- Journalists with several years of experience following achieving a recognised journalism qualification and a proven track record of seeking out breaking stories and off-diary leads
- Knowledge of the skills required when writing news material for a business audience and understanding of how to disseminate complex technical stories
- Skilled at building and maintaining the contacts needed to deliver exclusive stories
- Experience of submitting Freedom of Information requests to develop insightful, exclusive stories
- Understanding of SEO yet still able to write a sharp headline followed by a strong angle and a clear flow of facts.
- Experienced in digital skills necessary – or capable of quickly picking up those needed – to help with managing the website, putting content out on social media platforms and ensuring NCE is leveraging all engagement opportunities.
- Familiar with journalism law and how to write effectively about a litigious industry.
- The ability to tackle multiple tasks simultaneously and work in a fast paced environment.
- Ideally with an interest in the technical, financial and political aspects of the industry.
- A thirst for news with demonstrable B2B journalism skills, or a clear understanding of the difference in writing for such an audience, and a strong portfolio of published news stories
- The ability to turn a tip-off into a publishable news story
- Ability to appreciate the content needs of NCE’s audience and to engage with essential contacts within the sector
- First-class writing skills, including the ability to write concise copy
- Excellent people skills
- Data analytical skills and knowledge of digital solutions
- Knowledge and understanding of SEO
- Tenacious, diligent and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
Organised, able to plan ahead and to prioritise competing tasks. Please apply with your CV, covering letter and examples of work.
Please email this to firstname.lastname@example.org
Learning & Development
At emap, we believe that employee learning and development are the key drivers of our success. To ensure continuous growth and meet the ever-changing demands of the workplace, we provide an environment that fosters continuous development for our employees.
Our employees are encouraged to identify their areas of personal and professional development aligned with our strategic areas, including management development, health, safety & wellbeing, sales, events management, marketing strategy, editorial, and information technology. We have a structured framework designed to help equip our employees with the necessary knowledge, skills, and behaviors to excel in their job roles, contributing to achieving our organizational objectives.
To support our employees’ career development, we have designed specialized programs, as well as other stand-alone role-specific and generic courses, under the emap academy.
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group. Together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life assurance
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Rail season ticket loans
- Private virtual GP access
- Pension scheme
- Income protection and more
- Continuous learning & development opportunities
- Seasonal flu jabs on site
- One paid volunteer day per year
- Summer and Winter parties
- Work from home during August
- In-house Excellence Awards and other innovation projects
Diversity and Inclusion: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.
How to apply: Please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com. Due to the volume of applications, we receive, we are unable to give individual feedback at the application stage, however if you are successfully shortlisted you will be contacted within 10 working days of the closing date.