EMAP is a B2B content, subscription & networking business. We connect influential people and organisations to a high-value network of decision-makers, data and ideas through our industry-leading portfolio of brands.
Our Mission in media is to engage deeply with our niche industry communities across multiple platforms, serving our audiences with insightful journalism, great events, and the information, intelligence and networking connections with peers and suppliers to enable them to successfully develop their businesses and careers.
Local Government Chronicle
The leading title for the most influential people in and around local government, LGC’s readers oversee billions of pounds of public money, leading the drive to deliver the wellbeing and prosperity of UK towns, cities and counties. With breaking news, comment and analysis on lgcplus.com and in-depth features and investigations in our monthly print magazine, LGC delivers the best reporting on and for the sector.
Our stories, including our recent analysis of levelling up fund bids, coverage of emerging Greater Manchester style devolution deals and the inside track on government intervention, are frequently picked up by the national press and quoted in parliamentary debates or reports.
LGC has a history stretching back over 160 years. In addition to its journalism, it also runs agenda-setting conferences and events, including the LGC Awards which is the biggest celebration of British local government talent.
Are you a reporter who is passionate about politics and local services and looking for the next step in your career? Do you want the articles you write to influence people in positions of responsibility across the country? Would you like to be part of a news team covering local government as it grapples with levelling up, achieving net zero and supporting communities through the cost of living crisis?
If you enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and have a track record of producing high quality copy and delivering exclusive stories this could be the role for you.
About the Role:
LGC is seeking a senior reporter to join our ambitious editorial team. The role involves sourcing and writing a mix of diary and off diary stories for our daily newsletter that is read by the thousands of senior council officers and councillors that make up LGC’s audience.
You will also be expected to develop original ideas for investigations as well as producing analysis and commentary for our LGC Briefing.
You should enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and have a keen interest in politics.
Local government is involved in the delivery of a wide range of services and as a senior reporter you will cover a diverse range of topics, including the impact of austerity, social care, housing and planning as well as workforce issues and the governance of councils across England.
Our Shoreditch office in central London is open every day but the team currently works on a hybrid basis with two days in the office and three days remotely.
- Working as part of a team to ensure publication of a daily (Monday to Friday) lunchtime newsletter and a monthly print magazine
- Sourcing and writing high-quality news stories
- Researching and producing long-form features and interviews and analysis
- Representing LGC at conferences and other events relevant to local government. This includes travel around the country.
- Cultivating a strong contacts book which includes senior figures in the sector
- Developing and maintaining an understanding of local government and its concerns and how they are impacted by national policy
Skills and experience
- A track record of producing high quality copy and delivering exclusive stories
- Interest in UK politics
- NCTJ journalism qualification or equivalent
- Ability to multitask and work independently and as part of a team
- At least two years’ newsroom experience
- Proficiency in shorthand
- Knowledge of the public sector and local government
- Ability to use Excel or similar to analyse data for news stories
- Ability to news edit colleagues’ copy as required
How to apply: Please email your CV, a covering letter setting out why you are suited to this role and three examples of your work to email@example.com. Please also provide salary expectations. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to give individual feedback at the application stage, however if you are successfully shortlisted you will be contacted within 10 working days of the closing date.
Closing date: 12 October (although some candidates may be contacted and interviewed in advance)
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life insurance cover
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Private virtual GP access
- Income Protection and more
We positively celebrate Diversity & Inclusion in Metropolis Group. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds because it makes our company stronger. We are committed to achieving a working environment that provides equality of opportunity and freedom from discrimination. We aim to become the most inclusive business in Publishing- both for our people and our customers, reflecting and connecting with the diverse communities that we work with. We want people from all backgrounds to feel valued for their individuality and to thrive in our business and feel part of the Metropolis Group.