- Business: Metropolis Group
- Base Location: Croydon/Hybrid ( 3 days from home, 2 days in the office)
- Employment Type: Full time, Permanent
- Salary: £32,000- £35,000 DOE+ Benefits
- Remote working or visa sponsorship are not available
Trading as emap for its B2B division, Metropolis International is a fast-growing business, privately owned Media Group with over £50m of annual revenue, structured in two divisions – consumer media, and business-to-business media. In both parts of the business, we run print magazines, digital content and both face-to-face and virtual awards, conferences, and other events. Metropolis is actively looking at acquiring more media businesses. We employ over 480 people in offices in West London, Croydon, Fleet street, Devon and Dublin.
Overall Purpose of the Role:
Working with the Head of Web Development, Technical Business Analyst and Web Developer’s to gather, analyse and document business requirements for web-related projects, presenting solutions and working with key stakeholders to ensure projects deliver intended business outcomes.
Within the web/systems development lifecycle domain, the BA will work as a liaison among stakeholders to elicit, analyse, communicate, and validate requirements for changes to business processes, policies, and information systems.
The BA will also be responsible for writing technical specifications (for custom development, system integration, etc.) based on interactions directly with the customer and professional services team. These specifications will need to be precise and clear as they serve as a foundation for the clients’ project cost, as well as how the workload will be delegated to fellow team members.
- Be able to effectively facilitate meetings, demonstrate brainstorming /consensus building skills, and interact with executive level project sponsors.
- Gathers, documents, provides training, and analyses the client’s needs and requirements.
- Discuss the requirements with the development team.
- Design technical solutions in collaboration with the development team
- Actively manages Stakeholders of all levels by leading discussions of projects scope and approach and presenting business analysis findings/ documentation and proposed solutions.
- Recognise when there are obstacles preventing us from achieving our goals and readily intervenes and finds resourceful ways to remove them.
- Works effectively and individually with Technical and Non-Technical team members and customers
- Shares similar mentality as existing team members toward customer satisfaction and success.
- Work with 3rd Party clients where necessary offering direction, support and documentation.
- On-time delivery, and own quality of work ensuring it meets the technical standards of the department and division at large.
- Monitor your work against the production schedule closely and provide progress updates reporting concisely and clearly any issues or technical difficulties to the development lead or line manager as soon as possible.
- Adherence to all relevant legal and compliance requirements, standards of web development and online trading for both public and private sector: GDPR, SENDA, DDA
- To adhere to Company policies including the Anti-Bribery and Corruption policy.
- To carry out any other ad hoc duties as may be required from time to time.
Key Results Areas:
- Proactively and reactively bring issues to the Web Team daily stand-ups and weekly meetings (or more rapidly for urgent issues). Aim to close off issues by the next meeting, with good progress made on them as a minimum measurement.
- To write, review, and take responsibility for clear, concise, and comprehensive technical documentation.
Personal Specifications and Competencies:
- Strong influencing skills with the ability to influence and negotiate for time and resources at all levels.
- Evidence of success in building and managing relationships with high level stakeholders.
- Organisational awareness with the ability to operate with confidence and credibility across all functions of the Company.
- Ability to challenge in a non-threatening manner, and help build consensus to ensure buy-in and support with key stakeholders
IT, Administrative and Organisational Skills:
- Ability to perform system analyses on software programs, applications, and web services.
- Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills, with the ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines and to demonstrate an effective and resourceful approach to addressing issues.
- Judgement and Analysis:
- Sound judgement with the ability to interpret, analyse and disseminate complex, technical information.
- Must be able to make excellent strategic decisions for the design of complex software, evaluating the likely impact of alternative approaches, referring to software requirements, input from the Development leads and the existing source code base. Decision making in this role will have an impact on software speed, code reusability, team productivity and customer support. Therefore, personal judgement needs to be exercised in determining a course of action.
- Resourceful and purposeful, with initiative, drive, and a strong desire to deliver exceptional results.
- Able to work autonomously through a wide variety of complex problems under own initiative, adopting software development principles required by robust, scalable, and attractively presented solutions.
- A team player both internally and externally.
- Able to write technical software design specifications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain complex technical terminology to non-technical people.
- Able to interview the end-user, employees, management, and other stakeholders to understand areas of weakness and develop a mechanism to address the challenges.
Other Special Requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or a similar field
- ITIL qualifications or equivalent would be advantageous.
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in similar roles elsewhere.
- Strong development experience with structured and object-oriented PHP /or experience writing code to customise WordPress, etc.
- Extensive experience in technical business analysis in a related (but preferably web development) industry.
- Ability to facilitate internal end-user proficiency.
- Ability to design and maintain efficient customer portal support and feedback channels.
- Experience with systems integration technologies, including web services and APIs
- Team leader with demonstrated ability to lead a tech-savvy team.
- Ability to keep up with IT advancements.
- Exceptional communication skills toward facilitating the use of new software systems.
- Knowledge of relevant licensing and industry compliance regulations.
- Knowledge of agile principles and methodologies
- Understanding of responsive design frameworks such as bootstrap
- Experience with website speed optimisation and cross-browser support
- Familiarity with UX/UI design best practices
Learning & Development:
At emap, we believe that employee learning and development are the key drivers of our success. To ensure continuous growth and meet the ever-changing demands of the workplace, we provide an environment that fosters continuous development for our employees.
Our employees are encouraged to identify their areas of personal and professional development aligned with our strategic areas, including management development, health, safety & wellbeing, sales, events management, marketing strategy, editorial, and information technology. We have a structured framework designed to help equip our employees with the necessary knowledge, skills, and behaviors to excel in their job roles, contributing to achieving our organizational objectives.
To support our employees’ career development, we have designed specialized programs, as well as other stand-alone role-specific and generic courses, under the emap academy.
This exciting position is a full-time hybrid role. 2 days in the office, 3 days from home. This could change over time depending on business needs.
Benefits: emap is part of Metropolis Group. Together we are committed to providing a happy and healthy place to work, so we offer fantastic benefits and perks to our employees.
- 25 days of holiday per year (with the option to buy or sell)
- Health plan
- Life assurance
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Discounted gym memberships
- Retail discount vouchers
- Rail season ticket loans
- Private virtual GP access
- Pension scheme
- Income protection and more
- Continuous learning & development opportunities
- Seasonal flu jabs on site
- One paid volunteer day per year
- Summer and Winter parties
- Work from home during August
- In-house Excellence Awards and other innovation projects
Diversity and Inclusion: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnership, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.
Right to Work: Metropolis has a legal responsibility to ensure that all its employees have the legal right to live and work in the UK. Therefore, if you are made an offer of employment, this will be subject to emap verifying that you are eligible to work in the UK before you start work. If you are invited to interview, if you hold a ‘digital immigration status’, your Share Code will be required to access this status online. If you cannot provide evidence of right to work in the UK at interview stage, this must be provided before you can take up employment with us.
How to apply: Please send your CV and covering. Due to the volume of applications, we receive, we are unable to give individual feedback at the application stage, however if you are successfully shortlisted you will be contacted within 10 working days of the closing date.